Need good summer tires for stock 15 by masospaghetti
Started on: 11-13-2014 11:16 AM
Replies: 9 (201 views)
Last post by: dobey on 11-14-2014 11:25 AM
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for some relatively sticky street tires for my stock 15" wheels. I've taken my Fiero autocrossing twice now, was lots of fun, but my all-season BFG Traction T/A's just aren't cutting it, and they are getting shredded at the edges.

I see Tirerack has lower-profile tires for the 15" rim but they expensive - Cheapest are these Toyo Proxes R888 for almost $800:

http://www.tirerack.com/tir...lse&fromCompare1=yes

For the stock size and profile, I see some "High performance all season" tires such as

Firestone Precision Sport High Performance All-Season http://www.tirerack.com/tir...lse&fromCompare1=yes
Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H- or V-Speed Rated) High Performance All-Season http://www.tirerack.com/tir...lse&fromCompare1=yes

Are these a suitable compromise between daily driver tires and autocross tires? Thx all

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 11-13-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the Sumitomos that you list, and they are very good, but I do not autocross, and I suspect that they would be not so good at that.

You do want to pay attention to the UTQG number.....which roughly describes the hardness of the compound. A low number (300) is softer and a high number (600) is harder and usually found on tires with a wear guarantee. There are very few (maybe none!) 15" tires left with a low UTQG number(summer only)....and they are pricey. That is why I ended up with the Sumitomos.

Good Luck!

edit: The T/As have a reputation of getting harder as they age, so you may see an improvement with the Sumitomos or the Firestones.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-13-2014).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Z2 direzzas are about $115 each. I like those quite a bit.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't autoXed them, but I have some Sumitomo HTRs on my Avalanche. The ride is nice, and they seem to stick really well.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I haven't autoXed them, but I have some Sumitomo HTRs on my Avalanche. The ride is nice, and they seem to stick really well.

Those were really nice tires.....I had them years ago. The Fiero sizes are discontinued.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Those were really nice tires.....I had them years ago. The Fiero sizes are discontinued.

OP linked to some on Tire Rack, so there seems to be some available. The ones in the link look directional though, while the ones on my truck have tread made to rotate either direction.

I have Kumho Ecsta ASTs on my del Sol, and they're also pretty nice.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Sumitomos that I had first were HTR200 summer only.... really nice, but no longer available. These HTR A/S P01 tires linked above are all-season and nice enough....but not performance by any means.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-13-2014).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Z2 direzzas are about $115 each. I like those quite a bit.

Do you use them for autocross? It looks like there are more choices if I go with 205/50-R15's all around, i'll have to see if I can find another set of lace wheels for a reasonable price.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Do you use them for autocross? It looks like there are more choices if I go with 205/50-R15's all around, i'll have to see if I can find another set of lace wheels for a reasonable price.

Yep.

If you are interested in doing bigger track days you will want the star spec version because its more durable at higher temperature.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The Sumitomos that I had first were HTR200 summer only.... really nice, but no longer available. These HTR A/S P01 tires linked above are all-season and nice enough....but not performance by any means.....

I should try to track my Avalanche to see how they do.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock