Coil overs leave question. by Tweeder
Started on: 11-11-2014 08:04 PM
Replies: 20 (496 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 12-01-2014 02:03 AM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have theses coil overs. http://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/10-300/10002/-1 . Are theses the sleeves I need, http://www.summitracing.com...f-all64151/overview/ to use my stock shocks for the DIY coil overs, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118751.html? Thanks.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be mistaken but I think you need 2-5/8 inside diameter springs. Also be aware that they are $40 for 1 sleeve. Obviously you will need to order 2. Also people have bought the $45 Jap car coilover sets from Ebay. They have 4 sleeves so you could save yourself some money by going that route. You would simply throw away the springs that the Jap kit comes with and use 2 of the 4 sleeves. See this thread if you need any more help or information. A VERY good writeup by Fierohoho.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000018.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-11-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that, I guess I could shop around for cheaper sleeves. I would need then 7" long by 2.5" in diameter correct? I don't need the adjuster/stopper thingies as they came with the springs. I would need the adjuster tool? What's that called?.

------------------

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7" with 2.5" diameter is correct. The tool is the spanner wrench but you need to find one that matches the groves in the adjuster nut. Look on Ebay for "coilover spanner" and see the different versions.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-11-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, thanks

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a good price from the above thread here, http://www.colemanracing.co...Coil-Over-P4565.aspx . Depending on how much it will be to ship to canada. I have seen some other sleeves that have some sort of compression ring with it, is that needed?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I found a good price from the above thread here, http://www.colemanracing.co...Coil-Over-P4565.aspx . Depending on how much it will be to ship to canada. I have seen some other sleeves that have some sort of compression ring with it, is that needed?

If you are asking about those rubber "O"-rings, they slide over the shock and then the sleeve slides VERY tightly over them. They basically center the sleeve on the shock. I don't think you really need them if you buy the right diameter sleeve.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't aware it was rubber, I assumes it was metal. Yeah I'm going it have to take some measurements before I order.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
I just measured my tube, and it's just a hair under 2". There's a metal ring at the top that measures just over 2"(2.08). So I guess I'll have to order the 2.08 sleeve.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got an email from coleman with engineered drawins for sizes and they said that they don't offer that snap ring. Will the .08 or so make a difference?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
Anyone before I pull the plug and buy, I don't want to get something I can't use.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any info?

------------------

Hawaiian Brian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hawaiian BrianSend a Private Message to Hawaiian BrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a set off Ebay for an Accord for about $40 shipped that fit on my rear struts. Just barely !!! Had to use a rubber mallet after I cut off spring perch and sanded some paint off.

That's 4 sleeves, springs, spanner and o-rings...that u don't need.
Testing one tonight !!!

B
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year of accord? I seen some but not sure what one.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ebayed it and it looks like the cheapest is just a hair under $50 and another $35 or so to ship to me in canada. So the colemannracing is way cheaper. So I guess back to my other question on is it that important to take it the few mm of slack between the shock and coil over tube and if so,I how do I go about doing it?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
After some more googling about DIY coil overs in general, it looks like that lip that bigger than the tube is actually a dust cover that pops off. I'm going to try it and see, if so then I'm good to go on ordering the sleeves with the 2.050 or the 2.070 inside diameter

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 11-17-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have them all done and ready to put back in but one more question, where do I put the adjuster stop at?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now I have from the bottom of the coil over sleeve to the bottom of the adjuster is 4". I think I can go 1" lower than that and still have weight on the springs, just not sure if anything else will bind or hit when I get it out to drive next summer.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone on the rear height setting? i want to get the rear all buttoned up so i can get going on lowering the front.

------------------

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crap, I forgot about this thread. What is your concern with the adjuster height?

In a nutshell, with the car up in the air on a jack and the strut extended all the way down, the spring needs to be touching the top hat and be sitting on the adjuster. If you can jack the car up and the spring loses all of it's preload and comes free to where you can move it around, you need to move the adjuster upwards to load the spring a little more. At that point, when you take the car off of the jack, your car will be at it's lowest ride height. If it is too low then tighten the adjuster a few turns and raise the car up a little until you are happy with the height.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-30-2014).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks that helped. In the beginning it was too low, with the car on the ground; I was able to move the spring and at 4" it doesn't move around. I've got a base height now. I'm going to cut 1.5 coils from the front and then level the back with the front.

------------------

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay