Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anything wrong with this fuel line setup?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anything wrong with this fuel line setup? by tnkgnr
Started on: 11-11-2014 02:28 PM
Replies: 11 (318 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 11-11-2014 11:56 PM
tnkgnr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So...thought I'd do something nice for the ol Fiero and change out the fuel filter. Got both wrenches on and squeezed em both to loosen the fitting, and the hard fuel line cracks. As usual a little preventive maintenance turns into an ordeal...

Does anyone have thoughts on removing the lines from fuel rail to filter and replacing with the push-lock type hose? Right now it goes: fitting, hardline, fitting, rubber/braided hose, fitting, hardline, fitting, fuel filter.

I'm thinking of replacing that setup with:

adapter fitting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261...131925138%26_rdc%3D1
barbed connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261...188930328%26_rdc%3D1
push lock hose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330...375715866%26_rdc%3D1
barbed connector
adapter fitting

Would be less than half the price of the Fiero Store direct replacement. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty colours!!
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No no no! You'll get a whippin when your papa gets home!

Coolant hose won't stand up to gasoline, let alone the pressure.

Quick release on a pressurized fuel line - don't think so.

I bit the bullet and got all the TFS lines, feed, return, and the other two. I also got some fuel injector clamps. I want to get stainless ones, but the closest seem to be at NAPA and only the screw is stainless.

The hose has to be fuel injector hose, not fuel line. It's much more expensive for a reason.

I looked at it again yesterday. I'm going to need hoses as well, and probably have to have someone do it because there seem to be hard lines coming out of the tank above the filler neck. I just don't see myself making connections up there under a car on jackstands.

Look familiar?

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tnkgnr:

So...thought I'd do something nice for the ol Fiero and change out the fuel filter. Got both wrenches on and squeezed em both to loosen the fitting, and the hard fuel line cracks. As usual a little preventive maintenance turns into an ordeal...

Just to perhaps prevent other people from having this problem... soak the fittings with penetrating oil for awhile before using two flare nut wrenches to loosen the fuel filter connections.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36239 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

I looked at it again yesterday. I'm going to need hoses as well, and probably have to have someone do it because there seem to be hard lines coming out of the tank above the filler neck. I just don't see myself making connections up there under a car on jackstands.

Get that heat shield out of the way (four screws) and you'll have lots more access.
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quick release, they're all threaded fittings except where the hose pushes onto the barb. But quick release is somewhat standard in today's cars. I'm not sure what the issue with the hose would be...it's for fuel applications and rated to 350psi - almost 10 times our fuel pressure.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the Parker catalog, 801 Plus hose is NOT suitable for fuel

Restrictions
Not permitted for use in air brake systems.
Not suitable for high dynamic pulsation systems.
Not recommended for fuels (petrol, diesel etc.).
Not recommended for mineral based hydraulic and
lubricating oils.
Construction
Tube: Synthetic rubber
Reinforcement: High-tensile fibre braid
Cover: High performance synthetic rubber
in different colours
Temperature Range ............. -40 °C up to +100 °C
Exception: Air .................................... max. +70 °C
Water ............................... max. +85 °C
Recommended Fluids
Air, water, water-oil-emulsions and
water-glycol-emulsions.
Consult the chemical compatibility section on
pages Ab-22 to Ab-30 for more detailed information.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... except where the hose pushes onto the barb.

What secures it to the barb? Another clamp?

I second the suggestion to buy the pre-made feed and return lines. Its money well spent and they fit just like the original. I'm all in favor of fabbing stuff but not re-inventing the whole system with hose barbs and too much rubber line.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! If you change it you have to reroute and that can be tricky and critical. I think it has to be at least six inches from any exhaust and ten inches from the cat, plus the belts, pulleys, rubbing, chaffing, plus you don't want it getting snagged by road debris. The service manual says no more than ten inches of hose in one piece. The right lines put the filter in it's mount, which might have saved you all this trouble in the first place.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 11-11-2014).]

tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hose is heated, barb lubed up, and then you take a rubber mallet and put em together; specific note to not use clamps. Ebay listing said for fuel/coolant use, but perhaps it's incorrect. No biggie...so replace the push-lock hose and barbed connection with a braided steel line?

http://www.summitracing.com...sum-230603/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220690
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tnkgnr

260 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Thank you! If you change it you have to reroute and that can be tricky and critical. I think it has to be at least six inches from any exhaust and ten inches from the cat, plus the belts, pulleys, rubbing, chaffing, plus you don't want it getting snagged by road debris. The service manual says no more than ten inches of hose in one piece. The right lines put the filter in it's mount, which might have saved you all this trouble in the first place.

To be clear, that picture is not my setup. My problem arose from not giving enough time between lubing the existing connections and trying to loosen the fitting, thus resulting in the hard line cracking. The filter is in its original location and secured by the appropriate bracket.
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The hose is heated, barb lubed up, and then you take a rubber mallet and put em together; specific note to not use clamps. Ebay listing said for fuel/coolant use, but perhaps it's incorrect. No biggie...so replace the push-lock hose and barbed connection with a braided steel line?

http://www.summitracing.com...sum-230603/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220690

Can't argue with that

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock