Help - Clutch troubleshooting by jc8367
Started on: 11-10-2014 08:04 PM
Replies: 16 (268 views)
Last post by: jc8367 on 11-29-2014 03:42 PM
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to start my car and my clutch pedal has no pressure. Once I start the car I'm unable to get the car in gear. I have fluid, any thoughts on the culprit? I don't see any leaks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you give us a little history on your car? Did it work yesterday?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Air in the line is the first thing that comes to mind. Does the slave cylinder move when the clutch is depressed?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are probably about 5000 posts about this very subject in the archives.

The clutch hydraulic system is capable of drawing in air without any evidence of fluid leaking out. It usually occurs at the slave cylinder with the original style single seal slave piston. Rodney sells a nice dual-seal slave that works fantastic... if this is your problem.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick that was how mine was having the trouble, got the Rodney cylinder and no issue since.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Patrick that was how mine was having the trouble, got the Rodney cylinder and no issue since.

You don't know how much I wished that Rodney's dual-seal slave cylinder was available back in the mid 90's when I got my first Fiero.

Man oh man, I had a lot of trouble with my clutch hydraulic system back then... as did most everyone else!

I'll never forget This thread from year one of PFF.

Originally posted by Patrick waaaaaaay back in 1999:

I'm "glad" to see that I'm not the only one who has clutch problems with their Fiero.

I have a question. Is it possible for air to be drawn into the system at the slave end without any evidence of fluid leaking from the slave cylinder? I continually have a problem with air in the system, but I've been reluctant to replace the slave because I haven't noticed any leakage of fluid. However, every couple of months when I can no longer disengage the clutch enough, out comes the bleeding kit.

I'm getting awfully tired of bleeding this damn thing though. We could probably start a new thread containing just the methods that everyone has individually developed to bleed the clutch hydraulics on the Fiero. My experience has taught me that it is NOT an easy skill to acquire.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-10-2014).]

jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the clutch worked yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to check the slave when depressed, I'll give that a shot.

A Rodney dual clutch does sound nice. Could be an early Christmas for me, :-)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jc8367:

A Rodney dual clutch does sound nice.

As nice as it might sound... it's not a dual clutch.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes the clutch worked yesterday.

If the whole thing failed overnight, there may be something else going on.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank for the reply's.

I did some more testing today. While the car is off I can shift through the gears fine but once the car is started I'm unable to shift into any gear, in either case there's no clutch pressure. Fluids are fine, don't see any leaks and the slaves moves freely when stepping on the clutch. Any thoughts?

Suggestions welcome.

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 11-16-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in every case (engine off or engine on), can you push the clutch pedal and feel no resistance?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...the slaves moves freely when stepping on the clutch.

The slave needs to extend just over an inch when the pedal is depressed to fully disengage the clutch. How much travel do you observe?
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

So in every case (engine off or engine on), can you push the clutch pedal and feel no resistance?

That is correct
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is correct

If your slave cylinder is still moving about 1", your throw-out bearing is trashed.

If your slave cylinder is not moving, you have lots of air in the system.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the slave cylinder, changed it and everything works but an odd thing happened during my test run. After about 5 minutes of driving the check engine light popped on for a few seconds and then turned off. Not sure of the relationship between the two but I'll keep an eye on it.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're not related. The clutch has nothing that feeds info to the ECM. Sounds like a code 32 EGR emissions system fault. Check to be sure you didn't loosen the vacuum line to the EGR valve while you were working in the engine bay.
jc8367

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turned out to be code 13, open oxygen sensor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock