New Fiero owner seeking advice by jeffja
Started on: 11-10-2014 04:10 PM
Replies: 5 (154 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 11-10-2014 08:38 PM
jeffja

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffjaSend a Private Message to jeffjaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased an '85 Fiero V6 that was formerly raced as an SCCA ITA car but was mainly used as a track day car and an autocrosser in recent years. The engine was built by Gellner Engineering out of Parma, OH. Gellner builds NASCAR, drag race, drag boat and off-shore engines. Sounds MUCH stronger than a blueprinted 2.8 but that could be the stainless headers with a small Spintech muffler. Engine sounds great with a lumpy idle, pulls very strongly, and it fairly screams at higher rpm. Car has a very nice McMahan roll cage, five point belts, AutoMeter gauges (stock dash is retained but rest of interior is stripped), Kirkey seat, and a Wink mirror. 4spd trans with quick shift. 245/45 Hoosiers on 15" alloys. Stock brakes with Hawk racing pads and stainlees braided brake lines. Suspension is rock hard with lowering springs (very low with only 2" ground clearance under exhaust), poly bushings, and stock front roll bar. Windshield does not have securing tabs and there is no fuel cell. I'm mainly concerned about what SCCA class I can run in. I don't think it is legal as an ITA car as it sits. Vintage maybe?? I have a brother who runs a VERY serious Mini Cooper in vintage events and another brother who runs a very nice Red Devil F500. My effort. by necessity, must be done on a shoestring but I don't want to embarrass myself and I don't want a car with marginal braking and/or unpredictable or poor handling. I've been told that the pre-1988 suspension is worthless and I should convert to '88 suspension. But unless the early geometry is absolutely diabolical I'd rather not spend the dollars. I would greatly appreciate any constructive advice regarding the cars current specs and what might be improved relatively easily and economically, and what SCCA regional class (Kansas City region) I might compete in. I will also probably look at competing in NASA events and Corinthian, RMVA, and KCVR vintage events if car is eligable. Hope to hear from you guys. Thanx.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics?
jeffja

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffjaSend a Private Message to jeffjaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have a couple jpg pics but I don't have a clue as to how to post them.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first image post is always the toughest....but it gets easier after that. Click on the red, white, and Blue rectangle at the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the Pennocks Image Poster - click on the link at the bottom of the screen. Be prepared to downsize the pics.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your suspension is already lowered, the thing to check for is the rear anti-sway bar. A rear bar makes the car steer neutrally.
The pre-88 suspension with an added sway bar actually performs pretty well. I wouldn't spring for an 88 suspension unless it really needed it.
I would try the current suspension first

If you are planning on competing with the car, be prepared for increased costs due to the inevitable breakage of 30 year old parts.

Also, each governing body has its own rules so adding a non-stock brake system could impact qualification.

Sounds like you have a goody there so congrats to you.

Arn

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock