84' rear deck lid repairable? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 11-09-2014 06:02 PM
Replies: 17 (375 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 11-11-2014 05:18 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear deck lid has been repaired some time in the past, went to pick up spares that came with my car, was a notchback instead.
I have a line on another 84' lid locally, curious if a good boat repair shop could fix this correctly?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

...went to pick up spares that came with my car, was a notchback instead.

Have no idea what you're trying to say.

I have a line on another 84' lid locally, curious if a good boat repair shop could fix this correctly?

If it was my '84, I'd forget about the '84 decklid entirely. Update your Fiero and get an '85-'88 notchie decklid along with the two vented grills.

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If it was my '84, I'd forget about the '84 decklid entirely. Update your Fiero and get an '85-'88 notchie decklid along with the two vented grills.

I am saying I went to pick up parts that came with my car purchased back in January, thought it was another grated 84' deck lid. Later deck, not 84' specific, no use for it.
That's not the look I am after, I like the 84' stock deck lid.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-09-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...thought it was another grated 84' deck lid. Notchback, no use for it.

Hate to break the news to you... but your '84 is a notchback.

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hate to break the news to you... but your '84 is a notchback.

Thanks for the correction, but the deck lid have has a bump, no grate. To be honest, I have always loved the 84', only looked at the 84'. Road in an 88' once when I was 12, I am now 37
To me, I like the nose and looks of the 84' so that's where I focus all my time on.

This is the deck lid, is it a GT?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the correction, but the deck lid have has a bump, no grate.

The only decklid to have a grate is the '84. All the other years, whether they be notchie or fastback have a "bump" (which clears the 2.8 V6). Replacing the original '84 decklid with a newer notchie decklid (and the two vented grills) is a common mod. I did it with my own '84 years ago. IMO, it looks sleeker, and helps to keep rain water off the hot exhaust manifold.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only decklid to have a grate is the '84. All the other years, whether they be notchie or fastback have a "bump" (which clears the 2.8 V6). Replacing the original '84 decklid with a newer notchie decklid (and the two vented grills) is a common mod. I did it with my own '84 years ago. IMO, it looks sleeker, and helps to keep rain water off the hot exhaust manifold.

I understand, but not the look I am after. It's an 84', I prefer it to look like an 84'. I appreciate the correction on the deck lid, but I need to know if anyone has had such repaired successfully at a boat shop.

I may try the deck on for size to see how it looks once my wheels are in. You know how it can be when you have a vision in mind for a certain look, but sometimes, other things just "work" or pop better. Not that closed minded, just stubborn when I have an idea. ;-)

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-09-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I need to know if anyone has had such repaired successfully at a boat shop.

If you're only interested in keeping the stock appearance of the '84, just pick up another red '84 decklid. It's the most common one available in the wrecking yards, and it'll be a helluva lot cheaper (and nicer) than trying to repair the old one.

I may try the deck on for size to see how it looks once my wheels are in. You know how it can be when you have a vision in mind for a certain look, but sometimes, other things just "work" or pop better. Not that closed minded, just stubborn when I have an idea. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-09-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you're interested in keeping the stock appearance of the '84, just pick up another red '84 decklid. It's the most common one available in the wrecking yards, and it'll be a helluva lot cheaper (and nicer) than trying to repair the old one.

I agree, and that is what I will do, would be nice to have mine repaired for a back up. There are almost no Fiero's in the yards around Nashville surprisingly, and an item this big is $$$ to ship.
Fiero Factory is somewhat local, but as we all are aware, they're $$$$.

I will try the later lid as suggested, who knows, I might like it. Still need to repair the lock area if so:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are almost no Fiero's in the yards around Nashville surprisingly, and an item this big is $$$ to ship.

Around here, entire '84 Fieros, running or not (especially if they have an automatic) often can't even be given away. They sit in the wrecking yards for a perhaps a month, and then they're crushed. It's always such a waste of good parts.

Maybe try posting in the Mall here looking for an '84 decklid. You might luck out with someone local to you.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Around here, entire '84 Fieros, running or not (especially if they have an automatic) often can't even be given away. They sit in the wrecking yards for a perhaps a month, and then they're crushed. It's always such a waste of good parts.

Maybe try posting in the Mall here looking for an '84 decklid. You might luck out with someone local to you.

I have two near me, like I said, would be nice to have a spare instead of trashing it. I will let a local guy look at it, he like when I bring him good beer.
After thinking on your suggestion, I should at least try the later deck, it may look cleaner with my build as suggested. Still would need to get the lock area fixed.

PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mckaymotoworks

521 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Just a thought, possible to graft in the lock area from my good 84' into the later model deck lid? I'll look tomorrow to see if the areas are the same.
If the same, seems it may work well to Dremel it out precisely, then glass/epoxy it in, smooth & paint.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throw a couple pieces of angle iron, or aluminum on it. That would spread the load.
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Patrick(he knows best..lol)!!
I have bought my Fiero and I think that I will have spent enough in parts to make her back to stock then the car was worth. So sometimes you have to suck and say yes this is too much but it will look good and it's done.
Parts shipped to Canada is brutal, so I know about top dollar and don't forget the exchange rate for me and import duties.

Keep her stock!!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

I agree with Patrick(he knows best..lol)!!

Thanks Jeff. (Cheque is in the mail.)

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Evercoat makes some great epoxy. I'll precisely trim out the piece from my 84', traces the piece on the newer lid with an Xacto, use Dremel, trim smaller, files as needed to get perfect fit.
Epoxy and glass it in, smooth, paint and done.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if you get it repaired it will always be a weak spot. It will break again, just like the previous repair. For what they would charge to repair it, you can buy another decklid. I highly recommend replacing it. Maybe since you have a later one, you might find someone to trade it out for their 84. I too always liked the 84 best for looks. I think they had the best looking bumper covers.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Even if you get it repaired it will always be a weak spot. It will break again, just like the previous repair. For what they would charge to repair it, you can buy another decklid. I highly recommend replacing it. Maybe since you have a later one, you might find someone to trade it out for their 84. I too always liked the 84 best for looks. I think they had the best looking bumper covers.

I agree on all fronts. I have a lead on a replacement, will try the newer one too. Would be nice to have the ability to swap back and forth

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock