Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Successful clutch line replacement with store parts done easy!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Successful clutch line replacement with store parts done easy! by jetman
Started on: 11-08-2014 10:05 PM
Replies: 9 (2559 views)
Last post by: bigformula on 04-05-2015 05:44 PM
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Successful clutch line replacement with store parts done easy!

The clutch hydraulic line broke in my 86 4-speed, it was inevitable, this is how I replaced it, and I’m positive this little write up will help someone out.

Rodney sells a repair kit but it was beyond that stage. The Fiero Store sells a full replacement, they’re good people there but I wanted to do it myself, looked simple enough but it turned into quite the research project. Once the research was completed and I got the parts, it was an absolute breeze.

The work was done on my little 86-Fiero which is my winter “Hail Mary” daily driver that always gets me through the worst situations.
The items needed are listed below, I’ve got links included so you get the idea, but most everything can be purchased at local auto parts stores.

Quantity 2 of the “Male 12 x 1.0MM Metric Convex Seat to 4AN Male, Steel” connectors from pegasusautoracing dot com part number 3265-59
https://www.pegasusautoraci...KeywordStart=3265-59

Quantity 2 of the “4AN Male to 7/16 24 Female Brake Adapters” Earl’s Performance Plumbing Part number 989548ERL.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%.../361/989548/10002/-1

Quantity 1 of the “48-inch 4AN female swivel braided steel hoses”, Earl’s Performance Plumbing Part number 64191948ERL (this is for the rear set up)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%...61/64191948/10002/-1

Quantity 1 of the “36-inch 4AN female swivel braided steel hoses”, Earl’s Performance Plumbing Part number 64191936ERL (this is for the front set up)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%...61/64191936/10002/-1

Standard ¼ brake line, with standard male connectors in a 48” length, brake fluid, cable zip ties and some scrap plastic nylon hose to be used as sheathing.

Once I acquired all of the parts, it was super straight forward. Insert the 4AN male connectors at clutch master and slave, attach 48-inch and 36-inch flexible hoses, the adapters then your ¼-inch hard line.

I did grind down about 1/16 of an inch on the master and slave where I inserted the Male 12 x 1.0MM adapters just to make sure I was getting a good seat. I did use my old male 12 x 1.0MM screw as a thread chaser and flushed any shavings.

Removing the master was 2 of the 13MM nuts and a cotter pin at the pedal. Slave was 2 of the 15 MM bolts holding the entire bracket and slave.

I broke loose the bleeder while the slave was on the bench and made sure it was clear.

I ran the flexible line at both ends along the same route as the stock line making sure that I “wrapped” it in plastic nylon hose in areas where chaffing might occur using cable ties.

I reused the fasteners underneath holding the hard line to the body which are the 10MM nuts and screws and was able to make a few bends of the 48-inch ¼ line with a simple piece of 2-inch diameter pipe. Use the old line as a guide to where to make the bends.

The beauty of this set up is that I had plenty of flexible braided hose at both the master and slave to navigate those tricky bends, used cable zip ties and pieces of plastic nylon hose to isolate and insulate from rubbing and chaffing.

Also with this set up, I did NOT have to cut and flare my ¼-inch x 48-inch brake hard line, to me that was a plus!

The idea of not dealing with one single long piece also appealed to me, the sectional piece concept proved almost effortless.

In retrospect I think I could have used the 3AN sizes all throughout, probably could’ve saved some bucks too but I wanted to match up as close to the original 6MM hard line.

It was just 2 hoses,1 line, 2 adapters and 2 connectors. Here’s a picture of how “clean” the connection from the 4AN flexible hose to the hard line looks.

Here’s a picture of the new hard line, you can’t see it but there’s plastic nylon hose insulating the hard line from the fastener.

Ok, promise the best promise that you won’t laugh too much at the rust but this is a view of the front where the hard line connects to the 36-inch flexible hose, you can see the plastic tubing and the cable zip ties fastening the hose to one of the coolant pipes.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, bled it out myself using a 5-foot pole to depress the clutch pedal while I was standing alongside opening and closing the bleeder screw. You get 3 good pumps, afterwards go fill the reservoir.

Granted, it’s not a showroom car, just my winter beater, once I got the parts, it was a breeze, so I couldn’t be happier, and believe it, took less time to install the new line than to write about it, but it’s all good because it’ll help out my fellow Fiero forum members.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"
Now fortified with 8 essential slices of bacon goodness

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 11-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting, this information will come in handy!
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread saved. Good one Jetman
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write-up! This will definitely come in handy, how much did all the parts end up running you?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat and to right to the point, I know I will reference this when I replace my lines eventually....

Thanks!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Great write-up! This will definitely come in handy, how much did all the parts end up running you?

Cost was about half of the Fiero Store set up including brake fluid. The beautiful part, it was in sections with the "cleanest" possible connectors. By using the male/male adapters I was running the flexible hose right off the master and slave so routing was super easy.

Granted, it's just my ol winter beater but it worked out better than I could have imagined once I figured it all out. It was that Male 12 x 1.0MM Metric to 4AN male that gave me fits but the rest was just local stuff.

Oh yeah, thanks for the extra green I'm seeing, it is appreciated. For all the clutch line horror stories I went through in the archives, I knew I had to post a happy ending story for my fellow Fiero Forum friends.
fast40driver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this. Doing a Miata maser cylinder w/ an F40/SAAB slave cylinder - the infomation here makes it super simple to hook up,

Mike
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can probably make your own hose much cheaper. it's not too hard, I did a write up a while back. I planned on adding more info, but have been extremely busy.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134219.html

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

The Fiero Store sells a full replacement, they’re good people there but I wanted to do it myself, looked simple enough but it turned into quite the research project. Once the research was completed and I got the parts, it was an absolute breeze.

Good research and writeup. Your line replacement turned out very well.

I replaced my Indy's line with a Fiero Store one-piece replacement.
See halfway down page //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-5.html

New SS line on left next to the old.
(I have another in the box for the GT... one day I'll need it )

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

bigformula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigformulaSend a Private Message to bigformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting. This is good info

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock