Buying Parts by ninjayogi
Started on: 11-08-2014 03:34 PM
Replies: 16 (516 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 11-24-2014 01:27 PM
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently had to change the fuel pump in my GT, went to autozone got a new one swapped it out, and it was dead right out of the box. I have heard that autozone stuff is junk, but if that's the case where do you buy reliable stuff, and what brand is the best. Obviously OEM is normally out of the question.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NAPA, Echlin or premium line. Excellent product, great warranty and 9 times out of ten, Made in the U.S.A.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
three of mine have pumps from Advanced, no problems in 5 years.
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brought more stuff at autozone, I bought a grease gun today and it exploded on me. Almost everything I have bought there is defective. I hope the tie rods I bought there aren't, that could be really bad.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't bought so much as a washer from autozone in about 8 years. they flat out suck, parts are crap, the employees (at the store close to me) didn't know **** , or care either, and O'reilly's was right across the street...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with Delphi and Bosch fuel pumps. But you never know these days, the same brnad an part number could be coming from (for example) Mexico, China, or the U.S.
I would say if they can guarantee you its made here, buy that one.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:I haven't bought so much as a washer from autozone in about 8 years. they flat out suck, parts are crap, the employees (at the store close to me) didn't know **** , or care either, and O'reilly's was right across the street...

I don't buy any "hard parts" at local auto parts stores unless I absolutely have to. The push for private branded stuff results in a huge quantity of lowest-bidder BS and I'm just not having it. I'll buy name-brand parts from parts stores, but if it's a house brand I stay away. Even NAPA, which you used to be able to rely on for having quality stuff frequently boxes up poor quality parts. In fact, the last thing I bought from them was a clutch slave cylinder and leaked out of the box. I buy most of my hard stuff online from rockauto or even amazon, where I at least have control over the brand. I'm so, so tired of black box parts it's not even funny.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had a good answer for this problem, but lately I've seen even MOOG parts being made overseas. Even worse than that, GM Performance Branded parts are also being sourced from overseas in some instances.

I recently bought a new Dorman Oil Pan for my Iron Duke. I suspected it would be made in Mexico, rather than the US, but whatever. Nope, CHINA. And it is painted with the word CHINA on the OUTSIDE of the pan, so I can be reminded of it every time I change oil.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Wish I had a good answer for this problem, but lately I've seen even MOOG parts being made overseas. Even worse than that, GM Performance Branded parts are also being sourced from overseas in some instances.

I recently bought a new Dorman Oil Pan for my Iron Duke. I suspected it would be made in Mexico, rather than the US, but whatever. Nope, CHINA. And it is painted with the word CHINA on the OUTSIDE of the pan, so I can be reminded of it every time I change oil.

Everything made in China doesn't come from Shenzen.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has any one got a quality part from China? I'm still looking.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craftsman? Ryobi? DeWalt?
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Has any one got a quality part from China? I'm still looking.

I have many. I've also had my share of cheap junk that was made in the US, over the years.

Do you have a cell phone? Computer? TV? Guess what. They're almost 100% Chinese origin parts. Timken, Moog, ACDelco, and many more, all have plants in China now. But they have decent quality control, too. It's about the quality control, not the country of origin. Almost everything coming out of the Shenzen region of China though, is cheap knock-off crap, and tends to be unbranded, with absolutely no quality control at all. So certainly avoid those products.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Indeed. Country of origin has about nothing to do with anything. Chinese parts made to a good spec are a good part - anyone ever seen a poorly finished iPhone? Never happened. It is 100% the people that box the parts that are responsible for dictating the quality of the contents, and it's Moog et al who are specifying low quality parts - which is why I tend to stay away from private branded parts, because the signal to noise ratio there is very, very bad. Parts stores' MO is always "get me the cheapest part possible, because my customers don't know any better." And they totally don't!

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 11-18-2014).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
It's about the quality control, not the country of origin. .

Do you know of a way to research the quality control of a particular brand and part number?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Do you know of a way to research the quality control of a particular brand and part number?

Not really. But sticking to brands that have a history of high quality, generally means you'll get higher quality parts, even if they're made in countries where labor laws are questionable. Privately branded parts (like Duralast, etc…) can be reliable too, as long as they're made by a quality manufacturer. I've bought Duralast parts before which were just re-branded Moog parts, and they were fine quality wise. Difference was the box branding, and the warranty offered, which knocked the price down a bit.

Just don't always buy the cheapest part on the list at the store, and actually examine the part before paying for it. Check for Moog stamping and such on house-branded parts, and just do a bit of research, rather than rushing to get the cheapest/quickest fix possible.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had good luck with the DW 200 and DW 300 fuel pumps. They have a "no fault" warranty (one year or more but believe that they are three years)

Nelson
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Confirmed with NAPA that Altrom brand is made right here in Tennessee. Not that there is much available for our cars specifically.
But, you can call your local NAPA with a part number, most times they can confirm country of origin. As I've said, good results with the Echlin electronic components, excellent 3/5 warranty.

Dobey is right though, it's all about quality control. FOXCONN does almost all of Apple's products, but the employees also kill themselves or others...I partially kid.

For me, and I am sure some of you feel the same way, it just feels wrong to have Chinese parts on a vintage American car. Sure a lot was Canadian in the past, but at least the same continent, and they did build the Arrow...

Maybe we can get a sticky for good part sources period? Seems to be a lot of manufacturing knowledge on the board.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock