Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can a 2.8 fiero engine drop in directly to a 2.5 fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can a 2.8 fiero engine drop in directly to a 2.5 fiero? by chrislayton
Started on: 11-07-2014 09:31 AM
Replies: 11 (328 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 11-08-2014 12:56 PM
chrislayton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy is selling his 2.8 v6 fiero engine that has about 90k miles on it for $300 as he has swapped in a 3800 into his car.
Question is whether it would be an easy swap and whether it would be worth the $300 and the time involved.
Would my current wiring and computer work with the 2.8 or do I need the computer from the 2.8 car?
My fiero is the 85 2m4
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the easiest swaps. You will need the computer, engine harness, air cleaner assembly, exhaust, fuel pump, fuel lines, throttle cable and coolant hoses.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not an expert on this, but from what I am after reading there is a lot of things that need to be changed. Wiring harness back from the ECM, fuel pump(I think..different pressure), ECM, another fuse to be added in the fuse block. There is more that needs to be changed and someone will chime in I am sure. They say if you are going to a 2.8 Fiero engine then it's probably worth going to a 3.1.
The must is the wiring harness!!

It would be a great project though.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why waste energy on a 3.1 when the 3.4 is available?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe that was what I was thinking.
Is that the engine that you have to drill a hole and that?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newfiejeff

560 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Here is a post that I came across, might be some helpful information there

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125829.html
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newfiejeff

560 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The amount of work is allot. I have a friend who did the conversion. It would have been cheaper to simply trade the car for v6 equipped car.

Arn
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The amount of work is allot. I have a friend who did the conversion. It would have been cheaper to simply trade the car for v6 equipped car.

Arn

I second this opinion, or just buy a different car that looks like crap but has a good strong motor and swap that motor in. If you have the auto, make sure the trans is good and swap in the better trans too. Swaps are a lot of work, especially if you don't really know what you are doing, or have the time, money, patience or will to do it. However, if you know what you are doing, you enjoy doing it, and you have the time, it can be painless.

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a decent site that has a lot of info on about everything

http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html#Audio, Radio, Stereo
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just sell your car and spend another $1000 and buy a clean V6 car? Waaaaaaaaaaaay less hassle.
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is true, actually I am looking at a car now that I can buy with a V6 because that is what I wanted when I bought mine.
I actually fell in love with the old duke and now I want to keep her stock so the old duke stays. I would love to have the other one but no place to really keep her stored.
I would love to change it to another size of motor, just for the experience and the fun/challenge of it. Then it wouldn't be stock would it. I guess I am old school. I did change he tires/wheels to 17 inch so I guess it's not stock anymore.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock