Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  will the Mercruiser 3.0 L 4 cyl. engine work in an 84 Fiero with an Iron Duke

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
will the Mercruiser 3.0 L 4 cyl. engine work in an 84 Fiero with an Iron Duke by Tracker
Started on: 11-06-2014 10:29 PM
Replies: 2 (627 views)
Last post by: KurtAKX on 11-07-2014 08:19 AM
Tracker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackerSend a Private Message to TrackerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chevrolet based Mercruiser engine is a relatively high performance engine (140 hp). It is made to run for long periords of time at 4,000 rpm. It should be available on the used boat engine market. i

Tracker
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the bellhousing bolt pattern is different from the Fiero transmissions. Also, the cam grind is designed to run at high rpm while under constant load. A boat outdrive is under a constant load in order to keep the boat planed out. You don't have that load when cruising in a vehicle so it would be very similar to just revving the engine to 4500 rpm and holding it for long durations. The engine wouldn't last very long. Changing out the cam may be an option.

Automotive and marine engines can be interchanged with slight mods. I found that the 4.3 V6 truck engine specs were identical to my 4.3 Yamaha engine. Everything in the engine was the same except for the camshaft. Same crank, rods, pistons, oil pump and heads. So, I would assume that the engine could be reverse engineered to go into a car.

The major thing I found that was different in the truck and marine long block was the price. $850 for a reman truck short block as opposed to nearly $3000 for a reman marine long block.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tracker:

will the Mercruiser 3.0 L 4 cyl. engine work in an 84 Fiero with an Iron Duke
Tracker

Nope.

Bellhousing doesn't fit.
Front motor mount bracket doesn't fit.
The head has the intake and exhaust on the same side.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock