How long turning before starting by newfiejeff
Started on: 11-06-2014 07:32 PM
Replies: 9 (261 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-14-2014 05:41 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4

How long should the car turnover before it starts? Mine seems to turn over a nice bit first when I start, maybe a little quicker after it's started.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long is a nice bit? Long enough to nuke a burrito? Long enough to enjoy the morning coffee, or just like oh 3 seconds or so? Cold starts usually take a little longer, but shouldn't be too long. But that depends on a few things, condition of starter, fuel pressure, fuel injector condition, timing, and air flow.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Duke- I usually turn the key on, click start,(not crank) and then crank to start. using this method, it probably doesn't turn over 1 revolution before it's running !
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the car is cold or been shut off for a while it takes about2 to 3 seconds of turning over before it starts. When it is warm or haven't been shut off for long it starts up right away.
I will have to try and see if waiting makes the difference.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newfiejeff

560 posts
Member since Aug 2013
I was just wondering if this is normal or maybe the gas could be leaking back in the tank? Maybe it's all good. I am going to time it again when I go and post back.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As has been previously suggested... If you can hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition key, wait 'til it stops before you turn the key a bit more to crank the starter. See if that makes a difference. But yeah, if the fuel pressure dissipates immediately after the fuel pump finishes priming, that won't do you any good... but then it would be time to figure out where the fuel pressure is being lost.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:
1985 Duke- I usually turn the key on, click start,(not crank) and then crank to start. using this method, it probably doesn't turn over 1 revolution before it's running !

87 and up DIS Dukes does same way. Factory and Aftermarket PIM doesn't matter.
Including Wells "Fast-start" DIS PIMs. ( http://www.wellsve.com/adva...ignitioncontrol.html )

But note to many things can cause long crank time... highlights:
Low battery.
Low fuel pressure or bad fuel relay.
weak CPS or Reluctor. (Iffy pickup coil, magnet and/or metal part for them.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id say anything over 5-10 seconds is unusual for an engine in good condition. It should really start in just a few seconds. My Ferrari kit started the second I turned the key. It was bad because if I just bumped the starter, it would start even if I didn't want it to like to mark timing lines.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not the battery, a good crank on that. When I started the car this morning after all night, it cranked it seemed for a long time and started fine or it seemed like a long time compared to other vehicles that I have. When I got off work this afternoon I tried turning the key ahead without starting while listening to the fuel pump and when it cut off I cranked and it seemed like it done it in half the time.
I will keep testing and post back.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test the fuel pressure, low pressure will cause this, also when testing the pressure, turn the key on wait for the pump to prime and stop, then see if it holds pressure, if it doesn't it could be a bad check valve in the pump or a bad fuel pressure regulator. all of the above will cause long cranking times.
Also on DIS cars it can take up to one full revolution before the ICM knows where the crank is, so it knows what coil to fire. The ICM doesn't remember and the ICM does all the control during cranking. The ECM nevers knows where the crank is on a TBI. Just FYI

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock