What's the best glue to use to re-glue curled console by chrislayton
Started on: 11-05-2014 10:12 AM
Replies: 17 (572 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-13-2014 03:02 AM
chrislayton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonClick Here to Email chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The console surround that is where the stick shifter is on my 85 fiero has that padded vinyl separating from the plastic base. It's on the edges that it is most apparent where the foam underlayment has unglued itself from the plastic base. What is the best glue to use to re adhere that padded vinyl back to the plastic underlayment? I was thinking either gorilla glue or weldwood contact cement.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaClick Here to Email gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Gorilla Glue. Due to Texas heat all my interior pieces were peeling at the edge. I scraped off the foam at the edge of the vinyl so that the bond would be with the plastic and the vinyl. The foam could potentially peel if the vinyl shrank again. I also used binder clamps to clamp the vinyl while the glue cured. Harbor Freight also has somei inexpensive adjustable plastic clamps that work we'll.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum Chris!

You may not be aware of the SEARCH feature....if you switch to 'archives' and try out a few different search words, you will get many threads on the topics you are interested in. As for the console, there are a number of discussions, mostly using gorilla glue and lots of clamps.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 268
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageClick Here to Email RodneySend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One important thing to note is outer plastic (vinyl?) shrinks over time because of sunlight and heat etc. IMO to do a really good job make the inner plastic frame slightly smaller. Maybe take out some of the foam if there is foam under the outer plastic covering. The outer cover will fit better and have less pressure against the glue.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to do this myself, so I started searching. I use this search on Google as it aggregates the links a bit better "Gorilla site:www.fiero.nl" or "glue site:www.fiero.nl"
In fact, you can use the "xyx site:www.xyz.com" within Google search for anything, works a treat

Found a good many post, here's one with some photos: Console repair with Gorilla glue

You can also use binding clips with good results around the tighter spaces.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinClick Here to Email johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Gorilla Glue as well. Holding like a...Gorilla!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what Rodney said about removing some of the Foam, then I use automotive GOOP. the major thing being, it MUST be perfectly Clean to last.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has a good point about removing some of the foam. For one, it will later separate from the other surface. Gorilla Glue will work pretty good, but I've had some that didn't hold very long. I have some GOOP Marine Adhesive that I plan to try on my next repair jobs. I have it in a big caulking tube, but it is available in smaller size tubes, too. I know from using it on my boat that it's very strong and flexible and it dries clear. It bonds well to plastics and vinyl. I never had a problem with separation after it cured.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverClick Here to Email fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look on Mr Mike's site, he mentions using staples rather than glue. I went this way, and was happy with the results. You do HAVE to use an upholstery stapler, This will shoot staples about 3/8" crown, but very fine gauge. I used stainless, 1/4" leg staples. Works better if your part is up around 100 degrees - parts are much more pliable. Paid about $80 for a brand new Porter-Cable and has been useful for many projects.

Mike
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have any pics of the repair? I'm having a hard time visualizing stapling through the plastic frame.
chrislayton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrislaytonClick Here to Email chrislaytonSend a Private Message to chrislaytonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem is that the plastic is so old and already cracked a bunch of times so that i had to practically coat the whole plastic insert with JB weld. I don't know if stapling would just shatter the part but I guess with the JB weld coating it might hold up.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have successfully reworked two center consoles with Gorilla Glue and have been very happy with the results. I did have to do some hand clean up due to the expanding nature of this glue. I very carefully used a scalpel and the work did not take more than 20 minutes to complete. If you really overdo the glue quantity I expect that clean up could be significantly extended.

Nelson
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used Gorilla Glue (in the bottle, not the spray) for 4 or 5 of the console and gauge pods in the last few years and they've all held up great in 80-90 degree summers here.

I think the secret is to use a clamp to hold things together while it dry's overnight. You probably won't be able to clamp all sides at once so you might have to apply it in several steps.

Hope your project goes well, post pic's and let us know what you used for glue if you can.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"

Ayrton Senna

fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverClick Here to Email fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, no pictures, mine are all installed. Worked well, but the plastic was in good shape already, not dried out or fragile. Also used this method on the console door, and the armrest,

Mike,
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used loctite super glue all on the ones I have done.
It dries faster than the other glues thus it is easier to work with as you don't have to wait over night for each step.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-13-2014).]

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somehow double post, sorry

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 11-13-2014).]

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

542 posts
Member since Dec 2011
Hey "sardonyx247" I like the lock tight super glue idea, it would definitely speed up the process! I had tried this on one previously but didn't have total success. I don't remember if it was the lock tight brand though, the stuff I used was a non drip kind. Question, did you use anything special to clean / prep the surface to be glued first? I might try the lock tight super glue, I hate waiting for stuff to dry!
------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone" Ayrton Senna

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 11-13-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just blew it out with an air hose, otherwise use rubbing alcohol to clean it. I still use clamps and paint stiring sticks as it wont leave an impression on the vinyl.
Do small sections at a time as the glue does dry semi fast. Loctite brand is the best super glue I have ever used, it beats all other glues hands down, it is a cyanoacrylate glue and they add rubber witch makes it very strong, don't ask me why it does but it does. I did my consol like 10 years ago and it gets HOT here in Vegas, still looks new. It does take a little longer to dry here as it cures due to the humidity in the air, and we have none here. I gave up on super glues untill I tried loctite, just awesome.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock