Bumper Sanding?? by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 11-04-2014 09:08 AM
Replies: 5 (222 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 11-05-2014 02:06 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When sanding a Aero bumper, that has spider cracks in the paint. Do I need to sand all the paint (cracks out)?? Thought I'd ask before starting the process.

Gary

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!
http://s1277.beta.photobuck...50016365924013387734

After all the work, It's time to drive it!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to sand the cracks out... you don't need to sand all the paint off, but sometimes that will happen in order to not see any more cracks.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on How Long, and How Hard it was hit, the" Cracks" may Be in the Skin of the Urethane Also ! If that is the case, all the paint must come off, the urethane roughed up, skim coated with flexible parts repair (Such as 3M makes), then primed and painted.
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want hit or damaged. It just has spider cracks in the original paint
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If just the paint is cracked, you HAVE to sand that area completely down to bumper material. Lou is also right that they may also be in the cover itself. It may be impossible to see them, so you do need to sand off all the paint and put a skim coat of flex filler on it. They will eventually come back thru the new paint if you dont...even if you dont see them in the primer coat. If the covers had stripper on it, it can get in those cracks too and never come out except to ruin the new paint. Any covers I get that have had stripper on them I throw in the dumpster no matter how 'good' they may look.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If just the paint is cracked, you HAVE to sand that area completely down to bumper material.

I guess I just got lucky then.....do what Roger says.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock