wont start by otG
Started on: 11-03-2014 12:41 PM
Replies: 10 (350 views)
Last post by: imabaddude on 11-05-2014 06:47 PM
otG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otGSend a Private Message to otGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a 85 pontiac fiero gt got it to work the other day and went to leave car wouldnt turn over at all, I have power to raido, dome light, headlights, windows, ect. I took battery to car shop had them test it they said battery is 100 percent fine. Im thinking it ignition switch or alternator but im not sure and looking for any advice on where to start. And all connections to battery and from battery are good.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bobace455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobace455Send a Private Message to bobace455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double check positive cable where it connects to the starter solenoid. Check the other smaller wire coming off the starter. I always had turning over issues and it ended up being the wires at the fuseable link on the side of the engine bay by the battery. The PO would leave the battery cover off and the wires were cracked and sunbaked - it sure did some screwy things to the electrical system.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does tach move up when cranking or stay down around 0? If it doesn't move, the ignition control module is bad. Replace it.

Other than that, what exactly happens when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over? Does the starter just click? Does nothing happen? What?
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ignition switch had a dead spot to it if you just turn it.
Try to turn it to where it should be cranking and wiggle it around a bit to try to make a connection.
At least so you can get it home.
Good luck. :3
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a manual or automatic? If manual then I would check the switch on the clutch pedal.
otG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otGSend a Private Message to otGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Does tach move up when cranking or stay down around 0? If it doesn't move, the ignition control module is bad. Replace it.

Other than that, what exactly happens when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over? Does the starter just click? Does nothing happen? What?

The tach stays at 0 when I turn the key. So thats the ignition control module? When I turn the key tach stays at 0 can hear the radiator fan and something else engaging in the engine im guessing something to do with the fuel. The engine doesnt turn at all and I have full power to overthing else. Its also an autmatic

Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the engine is turning and the tach is not moving then it is the module. However, if the engine is not even turning then its a different problem.

Edit:
Could also be the switch that detects if it is in park. A trick that i have heard for other cars is to hold the key in the start position and move the shifter back and forth thru the gears. If you hear it start to crank then it is the switch.

Otherwise it sounds like the problem that my dads 2000 Chevy Venture was having where the starter suddenly gave out. We were able to get the starter to engage momentarily by taping it from above with the end of a crowbar proving that it was the issue.

[This message has been edited by Domtech (edited 11-03-2014).]

otG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otGSend a Private Message to otGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is not turning over at all.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try starting in both park and neutral. If it turns over in N but not P, then it's probably the switch for that.

What is the voltage at the battery if you measure it with a volt meter, when key is off and nothing else on?

Starter could indeed be bad. Check the wiring to the starter and the positive cable wiring at the battery end. Check the relays and fuses. Test the starter.
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If starter is not engaging or turning the engine, then it is most likely one of two things. Battery, but you had that tested, or the starter or starter solenoid. Luckily, it isn't too difficult to pull a starter. Also, if you look up how to bench test a starter, that will tell you if it's bad. It's pretty easy to do and will probably take half an hour to jack up your car, pull the starter, test it, and maybe put it back if it's ok. Now, there are other things it could be, first I would check the starter. Then I would move on to either the ignition switch or neutral safety switch. There is no need to start tearing stuff apart if you don't have to. Just attack it in a methodical matter. Let us know how the starter tests.

http://easyautodiagnostics....r-motor-bench-test-1

When I bench test them, I stand clear, make sure nothing is near it, or near the gears, and just tap it with the power. You don't need to run it for more than a fraction of a second. I usually don't bother with the vise and I'm not going to hold it or ask someone else to.
imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get it started yet?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock