Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone install Flatlander Racing kit for 2.5 or can tell me more?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone install Flatlander Racing kit for 2.5 or can tell me more? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 11-03-2014 12:33 PM
Replies: 16 (324 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 11-08-2014 11:34 AM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chosen to keep my 2.5 to build something a bit unique, keep as close to original as possible. I am procuring the Holley Performance pieces, discovered the Flatlander kit for the 2.5, thinking this will get me where I want with the engine, breathing/performing better than factory. I have a modest goal as I am aware of the limitations with the Iron Duke. Anyone run this kit or have experience with it?

Part# 1073-HP Pontiac 151 1979-84
4.00 Forged pistons in any compression w/plasma moly rings (std-60), Fel-Pro gaskets, main, rod & cam bearings, High Volume oil pump, freeze plugs, lifters, timing set, performance wrist pins (no cam).
$969.99

1. Holley Performance TBI/intake
2. cam
3. Custom 2.00 Magnaflow exhaust
4. Hooker/Pacesetter header
5. Flatlander Kit

Trying to reach a reliable 120hp just for street, some spirited driving thrown in occasionally.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-03-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had not seen that kit, but unless you needed new pistons, I am not sure why you'd want the Flatlander kit. By itself, it isnt going to do anything for performance. I'd probably say change the rings and keep the stock pistons, unless you are having the block bored out and will need new pistons any way.

Instead of Flatlander kit, I would suggest to get the head ported, or better yet see if you can find a Super Duty Head.

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I had not seen that kit, but unless you needed new pistons, I am not sure why you'd want the Flatlander kit. By itself, it isnt going to do anything for performance. I'd probably say change the rings and keep the stock pistons, unless you are having the block bored out and will need new pistons any way.

Instead of Flatlander kit, I would suggest to get the head ported, or better yet see if you can find a Super Duty Head.

Good feedback. I was going under the assumption of a thread I uncovered recommending this kit for a performance upgrade. Haven't called them to discuss or anything, didn't know if there was more to it.
I agree on the SD head, I have my eyes out, also looking at KRP crank.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also forgot to add you will probably need to have your computer re-tuned. Someone else can chime in on that. I'm not sure how the engine will run with all these changes, without having the ECM tuning tweaked. I'd defer to others that have done a Duke cam swap to comment on how well it runs on the stock tune.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just trying for a nice reliable 120hp. Most of the older post are other's striving for 150+, so unsure where I fall in on the lower end.
Seems with a relatively fresh engine, cam, free flow exhaust, Holley intake/TBI I should be very close I would think.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unlikely you will get that sort of power, nor would it be reliable and you would still be RPM limited to less than 4000.

Motor swap....
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock is 92hp, I can't see a 30% increase making it a grenade. I'd be happy with 112hp.
I've spent a lot of hours researching this, most issues I see are A. far more increase in power than my goal B. forced induction.

I think I will be close to my goal with a 522 head, cam, TBI, intake, custom exhaust and a header.
I am not a 1/4 miler, I more enjoy spirited driving with great handling on curvy roads.

Anyone can drop a larger motor in, I've dealt with that and my Honda. I prefer to build off what's stock, because it's the least likely path.
I do enjoy having something other's do not, not an ego thing, but more of a "fish against the stream" dancing to the beat of my own drum kind of thing.

I was just unfamiliar with this kit, saw it mentioned in another thread, not much info other than a what you see on their page.
Was curious if anyone had ran it with another modded 2.5.

As Ed said, not much there. I will still call them to see if they just overlooked posting the benefits, if any, of their kit.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-05-2014).]

larry mimbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No reason to limit rpm to 4000. SD head requires other things to change also.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

Stock is 92hp, I can't see a 30% increase making it a grenade. I'd be happy with 112hp.
I've spent a lot of hours researching this, most issues I see are A. far more increase in power than my goal B. forced induction.

I think I will be close to my goal with a 522 head, cam, TBI, intake, custom exhaust and a header.
I am not a 1/4 miler, I more enjoy spirited driving with great handling on curvy roads.

Anyone can drop a larger motor in, I've dealt with that and my Honda. I prefer to build off what's stock, because it's the least likely path.
I do enjoy having something other's do not, not an ego thing, but more of a "fish against the stream" dancing to the beat of my own drum kind of thing.

I was just unfamiliar with this kit, saw it mentioned in another thread, not much info other than a what you see on their page.
Was curious if anyone had ran it with another modded 2.5.

As Ed said, not much there. I will still call them to see if they just overlooked posting the benefits, if any, of their kit.

problem is that the duke just isn't a great platform to build off of. it's not impossible to build a duke, to make 120 hp, but you could just swap in a quad 4 or an ecotec, and make way more power and be way more reliable.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the next step. Building the Duke to be up to 120, sourcing a turbo Ecotec for later.
I have realistic expectations for this car, my commute is curvy country roads in the Tennessee hills.

I am not a 1/4 miler, I love the curves and torque. Hence my Ducati Monster S4
Just the occasional spirited sprint, great handling, good tunes.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More people try to make the duke fast than actually swap engines... You'll be going upstream with the majority....

The rods and unbalanced crank limit the RPM, not the head/cam.
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I will be just fine with my modest gain.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I try to understand both sides of the argument. You want more power and wish to keep the Duke, yet you face limitations on the engine strength issue. Upping power to the 115HP level might be possible but the question becomes are the risks and investment worth the result?
One time forum members Ira crummy and racincouple (Neil Kline) built high performance Duke engines and they held up, but I have no idea how hard they were pushed. BTW, Ira still has a website. If the cost of modifying a engine with very marginal strength meets your needs, and you understand the risks, go for it.
Here is Iras website. Lots of info there: http://ironduke7.tripod.com/

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-07-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I try to understand both sides of the argument. You want more power and wish to keep the Duke, yet you face limitations on the engine strength issue. Upping power to the 115HP level might be possible but the question becomes are the risks and investment worth the result?
One time forum members Ira crummy and racincouple (Neil Kline) built high performance Duke engines and they held up, but I have no idea how hard they were pushed. BTW, Ira still has a website. If the cost of modifying a engine with very marginal strength meets your needs, and you understand the risks, go for it.
Here is Iras website. Lots of info there: http://ironduke7.tripod.com/

Yes very familiar with that site, gives one hope. lol So far, I have TBi, intake, 522 head, port work, cam, custom exhaust, hi comp pistons, Z28 lifters. Sure I am forgetting something.

Happy with 112hp but hoping for 120hp. This also seems to support that 120 should be possible with these mods:Iron Duke Performance

As I said, the turbo Ecotec is the end goal, but want to beef up my "shop" first so it will be factory perfect, keeping all work in house. I've seen a lot of hack job swaps, I want mine perfect as I intend to leave the car to my children. And it's a reflection of who I am, so I want it to look and perform the best it can. Totally believe in the mantra "anything worth doing, is worth doing right"
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My rebuilt duke revs to 5000 RPM with no problems. Read about my rebuild here.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

My rebuilt duke revs to 5000 RPM with no problems. Read about my rebuild here.

TopNotch, I read your thread, and also the subsequent one on the SD4 Valve Cover mod. Would you mind posting a picture of how you have routed the PCV and Breather lines. I see the hole in the cover, but can't see where you routed the hoses. I am going to do those same mods, although with my build I am not keeping the EGR.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's the next step. Building the Duke to be up to 120,

Here you go: http://ironduke7.tripod.com/builtduke.htm

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page