Stock manifold construction? by mental floss
Started on: 11-01-2014 01:40 PM
Replies: 8 (244 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 11-12-2014 09:33 AM
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are stock Fiero manifolds just steel? The tubing portion.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cast alumiinum
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assumed he was referring to the exhaust manifold(s)

they are steel, but they are a goofy steel, thin and not easy to weld (if your thinking about welding up a cracked front Ex. Manifold)
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intake manifolds on both 4 and 6 cylinder engines are cast aluminum. The exhaust manifolds on the V6 are 409 stainless steel. I don't know what the 4 cylinder exhaust manifolds are made of as its been over 25 years since I've owned one.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
409 stainless would explain why I had issues attempting to weld it.
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, all. Yes, I was talking about the stock exhaust logs on a V6.
AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
409 stainless. You can weld them!! And, you don't need special wire. I just welded my forward exhaust manifold while still in the car. It was split between #4 and # 6, but more on number 6 all the way around. Might be caused by the weatherstrip thing that makes water drip on that area. If you use regular wire feed wire it will eventually rust where special stainless wire won't. I welded as much as I could from under the car and then did the top.... it was apita because you can only get at it from a certain angle. Turn the heat down because they are not super thick. After I finished welding it, I started it and made sure it was no longer leaking. There was a very very small pin hole that I could not get at with the welder which I rubbed in some "muffler weld putty stuff". Fixed it!!! Completely quiet!!! I was afraid of trying to replace the manifold due to the possibility of broken bolts.....then cradle drop and Rodney's drill kit or head removal all together. Hope this helps. Marshal

#projectblackcar

fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also braze them. Clean, brush-on flux helps, braze with a coated rod, or plain dipped in flux. Doesn't flow out that well, but if you can braze, you CAN do it. Less chance of cracking adjacent to the repair, hold up well, Standard precautions against warpege.

Mike
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any machine/welding shop should be able to weld up the exhaust manifold. Just make sure they clamp it down so it doesn't warp. You may have to have it machined, to flatten the mounting surfaces.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock