I need a little reassurance on use of an engine stand by crashmydaytona
Started on: 11-01-2014 12:07 PM
Replies: 16 (442 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 11-06-2014 08:53 PM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not used this before its a 1000# stand but it looks a little unsafe to me. Can for grade 8 bolts really support the wait of this 3.8 sc engine? Is it safe to rotate it around with all the accessories still on? I had to use some washers as spacers because the bolts were a little long. I want to drain the oil and start scrubbing and pressure washing it. Thanks for helping

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know which series you are running but the specs say the Series II is 392lbs.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-01-2014).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they hold the engine in the car, why wouldn't they hold it on a stand?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would remove the dowel pin from the lower bolt hole so the arm tube sits against the block. The pins can usually be driven out from the back side.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If they hold the engine in the car, why wouldn't they hold it on a stand?

Because the engine and transmission sit on mounts on a cradle with the wait distributed not all the wait on four bolts on one end. That's why I was concerned. I will remove the dowel and call it good. Thanks for the help
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine stand is designed for that purpose. Have faith in it. The most important thing is to ensure the engine is properly centered (as much as possible). If it's not, you may find that when you go to rotate it, it may spin upside down and you'll have a hard time getting it back upright.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

The engine stand is designed for that purpose. Have faith in it. The most important thing is to ensure the engine is properly centered (as much as possible). If it's not, you may find that when you go to rotate it, it may spin upside down and you'll have a hard time getting it back upright.

Thank you. I will have faith
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the same set-up for Cummins turbo diesels, no problem.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

Originally posted by seajai:

I would remove the dowel pin from the lower bolt hole so the arm tube sits against the block.

That's an excellent observation. I don't see how the engine could properly mount on the stand with that dowel pin still in place.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used engine stands many times for years. In addition to the tips pointed out here, if possible, I would recommend that you use a 4 leg engine stand instead of a three leg. While the 3 leg is somewhat stable it is fairly easy to tip over . The 4 leg stand is far more stable.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a full dressed Pontiac 428 engine (looking for a home) on a 3 leg engine stand for 27 years. It amazes me that it hasn't collasped yet and I have scooted it around the garage a few times. I'm sure something like this can handle any aluminum engine with no problems.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
That's an excellent observation. I don't see how the engine could properly mount on the stand with that dowel pin still in place.

Might not move but the bolt pressure etc could "flare out" the dowel then the dowel will cause problem mounting to trans.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:
I have a full dressed Pontiac 428 engine (looking for a home) on a 3 leg engine stand for 27 years. It amazes me that it hasn't collasped yet and I have scooted it around the garage a few times. I'm sure something like this can handle any aluminum engine with no problems.

Spoon

You don't have a Fiero to put it in? Time to buy another one?
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't have a Fiero to put it in? Time to buy another one?

You don't know how many times I thought about stuffing it into one. But its way too much work.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't know how many times I thought about stuffing it into one. But its way too much work.

Spoon

...it's been sitting for 27 years...I'm sure you could have fitted it into a Fiero in that length of time, no matter how much work it was.......
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

Maybe time to buy a Catalina then.
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe time to buy a Catalina then.

I'm one step ahead of you. 1960, has a tri-power engine in it.

Spoon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock