What, no dip stick? by mcguiver3
Started on: 10-31-2014 06:44 PM
Replies: 14 (480 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-05-2014 11:39 AM
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't think much about it until I wanted to fill the F23 I just installed in the race car.
I guess it's the old "pull the upper plug and fill till it's pouring on the ground trick"
You would think that for all it's worth GM would have provided a simple way to check the fluid.
BTW, how much does it hold?
Dextron VI is what I was told to use. any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GM concept regarding the lack of a dipstick is:
If the fluid level is low and you have a leak then the leak needs to be repaired. It is necessary to drain the trans fluid for most repairs. After repairing the leak then refill with the required amount of fluid. If it doesn't leak then the fluid level should not change.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, the good old "works on paper" concept.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, it looks like 2.6 quarts to over fill the tranny.
But synchomesh fluid is not recommended.
Is Dextron VI the stuff to use?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On automatics now, its unusual to find a trans dipstick. It usually requires a temp probe and special tools to check. Just another way for auto repair shops to make more easy money. Dealer would check my Hemi Magnum for $59.95. My solution now is drive it till it slips then add enough to make it stop slipping. If you have a leak, estimate when you leak out a quart and add 1 then. Pretty much seems that any trans repair these days is a full rebuild cost anyway, so drive it till its broke.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

On automatics now, its unusual to find a trans dipstick. It usually requires a temp probe and special tools to check. Just another way for auto repair shops to make more easy money. Dealer would check my Hemi Magnum for $59.95. My solution now is drive it till it slips then add enough to make it stop slipping. If you have a leak, estimate when you leak out a quart and add 1 then. Pretty much seems that any trans repair these days is a full rebuild cost anyway, so drive it till its broke.

F23 isn't an automatic.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 2 liters of synthetic ATF Amsoil in mine
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

The GM concept regarding the lack of a dipstick is:
If the fluid level is low and you have a leak then the leak needs to be repaired. It is necessary to drain the trans fluid for most repairs. After repairing the leak then refill with the required amount of fluid. If it doesn't leak then the fluid level should not change.

That and too many owners are too stupid to know what kind of fluid to put in the transmission and dump engine oil, antifreeze, god knows what in there. Just seal it so they can't screw it up. Checking the engine oil is confusing enough for the typical owner.
AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.0 quarts of manual transmission fluid. GM part# 88861800 or AC Delco part# 10-433. It costs $5.92 per quart. F23 is a manual transmission out of 2000-2002 Cavalier and Sunfire with 2.2L. Gear ratio is nearly identical to the Getrag 5spd but the F23 is said to hold up to a little more power. Marshal
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

F23 isn't an automatic.

I know that. I was just adding a comment that ANY dipstick is becoming a thing of the past. Oil dipsticks will be the next to go. All they need is a level sensor in the pan and a light on the dash.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agree that all dipsticks will soon be gone, but some engines still have a small fill tube or plug leading to the transmission pan. What I do is make a dipstick from a long 1/4" wide (white color) cable tie when all is OK. That gives you a full mark which you can mark on your homemade dipstick and allow you to take readings.
Talk about the lack of certain things on newer cars; my sons BMW didn't even come with a spare tire or a jack. He went back to the dealer where he bought it last year and the dealer said "if you can afford a BMW you can afford road service". It just so happens that he needed tires last month and put a set of run flat tires on it that will get him off of the road and to a service station.
Point is that times are changing but there is always a solution.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of new cars no longer give spare tires. A can of fix a flat and hope your cell phone has service where ever your stuck at.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Ya, the good old "works on paper" concept.

Hey that's my line !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

A lot of new cars no longer give spare tires. A can of fix a flat and hope your cell phone has service where ever your stuck at.

my RX8 didn't come with a spare it was actualy an option
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Far as I remember, spares were ALWAYs an option on Pickups. No newer Corvettes have a spare either or even anywhere to put one.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-05-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock