Started on: 10-31-2014 08:31 AM
Replies: 12 (392 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-31-2014 01:41 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will need to take off my son exhaust here shortly and I was wanted to review all that's necessary.

Disconnect the 2 bolts at the Y pipe.
Disconnect the 2 U bolt exhaust hangers.
Disconnect the numerous springs.
Edit: You will have to disconnect the E-Brake cable in order to drop the exhaust down.
Then just drop down and pull out from under the car.

Is that everything? Any special tips or hints?

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds about right. If the body is good, wrap the tips so as they don't scratch the paint when you work the system down/out.

Be prepared for broken bolts at the y-pipe. I had to end up drilling out a bolt and replace with nut/bolt (stainless locking).

Watch for exhaust gasket at y-pipe, so as you don't drop it or ruin it.

I usually just unbolt the rear hangers from the frame, as it is easier than trying to mess the u-bolts (unless you are going to change them)... same for the brackets that hold muffler to the frame.

If you break off a u-bolt, you can just grind it off the bracket and weld on a new one. Saves you from buying a new bracket. Just make note of the orientation of the u-bolt to the bracket. (sometimes you have enough material to just clamp the bracket with the u-bolt, but sometimes you have to weld.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-31-2014).]

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
usual pb blaster application on the bolts if they appear rusty and which bolts on a 28 year old car aren't??

The springs will test your patience once again. I used the rodney dickman tool which was helpful for a newbie because the space is limited. pay attention to what spring goes where so they go back on where they are supposed to. took the most time re-connecting those stupid springs.

replacing the cat at the same time or has that been eliminated already?
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Not famliar with this gasket. Are they a donut or what? Hard to find or expensive?
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
readily available at parts stores but cost $10-$14 to replace.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mental floss:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Not famliar with this gasket. Are they a donut or what? Hard to find or expensive?[/QUOTE]

Donut and you usually don't have to replace, but just something to keep an eye on.

Oh, for springs, I use locking vice grips. (wear leather gloves, incase you slip).
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't have any issues with the Y pipe bolts because I just had it off during my 4T60 swap. This is the reason I am taking the exhaust off. I think during the swap, I may have dropped something in that pipe before I covered it up. I don't remember dropping anything, but there is a loud metal clanking coming from the exhaust now. It is very annoying. So I need to drop it and see if anything comes out. If nothing comes out, the I'm not sure where to look.

Jim
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I won't have any issues with the Y pipe bolts because I just had it off during my 4T60 swap. This is the reason I am taking the exhaust off. I think during the swap, I may have dropped something in that pipe before I covered it up. I don't remember dropping anything, but there is a loud metal clanking coming from the exhaust now. It is very annoying. So I need to drop it and see if anything comes out. If nothing comes out, the I'm not sure where to look.

Jim

Original cat? Could be a melted mass in there (well, could be true even if it isn't the original cat).
Make sure your springs are seated properly, as the exhaust could be banging against the frame.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Original cat? Could be a melted mass in there (well, could be true even if it isn't the original cat).
Make sure your springs are seated properly, as the exhaust could be banging against the frame.

Yeah, I checked all the springs and only found one exhaust tip hanger broken. I repaired that and it did not make a difference. The cat looks decent, no rust holes or such. I don't think it is original, but I have no idea how long it's been on there. Muffler looks to be in good shape also. The noise sounds like metal popcorn jumping around in the exhaust somewhere. It does not have any rhythmic pattern. It is worse at lower speeds and initial acceleration. However, there is no noise whatsoever at highway speeds. Smooth as silk.

Jim
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 320
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I checked all the springs and only found one exhaust tip hanger broken. I repaired that and it did not make a difference. The cat looks decent, no rust holes or such. I don't think it is original, but I have no idea how long it's been on there. Muffler looks to be in good shape also. The noise sounds like metal popcorn jumping around in the exhaust somewhere. It does not have any rhythmic pattern. It is worse at lower speeds and initial acceleration. However, there is no noise whatsoever at highway speeds. Smooth as silk.

Jim

Over time the baffles inside the muffler can rust out and break into pieces. The exhaust flow agitates the metal pieces and causes a rattle. That could be the sound that you are hearing or it could be coming from the cat under the same condition..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim

Use something like a rubber mallet or your hand to pound on the cat and listen. I had a cat that was completely empty, except for one chunk, which was rattling around.
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a brand new cat on my car when I had the 2.8 in it. took it out after 6 months to put in the 3.4 and the cat was all broken up and burned out in that short a time. replaced it with a hi flo cat from rodney.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

I put a brand new cat on my car when I had the 2.8 in it. took it out after 6 months to put in the 3.4 and the cat was all broken up and burned out in that short a time. replaced it with a hi flo cat from rodney.

Just to add, an engine that isn't tuned properly (old engine) can also burn out a cat pretty quickly (rich fuel mixture, etc....) So, it can happen, even to new installs, like mentioned.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock