Started on: 10-29-2014 04:10 PM
Replies: 10 (420 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 10-30-2014 02:34 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't really want to start a new thread, but I think my questions have gotten lost in my 4T60 swap thread. 86GT now with a 4T60 transmission.

First issue I can't seem to get the TV cable adjusted. You are supposed to be able to push in that button and then push the wire back into the cable/sleeve. Release the button, and then pull the wire back out, and it automatically adjust. (supposedly should hear a clicking noise) Problem is I can't get that button pushed in. Is it that hard for others, or am I getting the procedure wrong altogether?

Second issue, maybe related to first issue. When coming to a stop, the car shifts down pretty hard when dropping back into first. I have never had any car kick down this hard. It doesn't shake my bones, but it is not very smooth at all. Does the vacuum modulator need adjusting? Can it even be adjusted? What are others experiences like with this transmission? Thanks.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy seemed to have similar issues, but never really got an answer either. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132413.html

Jim
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I adjusted my TV, I actually had to use a pliers to push the button in. I manually tried a few notches on it and went out for a drive and used the one that seemed to work the best. I had a shop adjust my modulator. which they did but told me the transmission I had was pretty weak. that's when I went out looking for a replacment. pretty much had to adjust the TV on that one the same way but the modulator seemed to work correctly from the beginning.

can't help on the hard down shifts. not sure if that can be adjusted or is a sign the transmission has got internal troubles.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

can't help on the hard down shifts. not sure if that can be adjusted or is a sign the transmission has got internal troubles.

Oh please don't say that. This guy may have an answer http://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/129221.html#p4 Fipronil, about halfway down. It's worth a shot. The modulator does appear to be able to be adjusted, if I am reading other stuff correctly.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some possible answers here http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130724.html this thread suggest i still need to get the TV cable adjusted.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
This thread suggest I should be at 2000 rpm's at 70 mph. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132938.html I'm running at about 2500 at 60 mph. So I have something out of adjustment. Not sure if it's the TV cable, vacuum modulator or governor cap. Anyone with solid answers?

Jim
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adjust the TV cable to control the shift points. By moving the cable in (towards the passenger side) you will increase the shiftpoint to a higher RPM. This will also help prevent shifting to early as was in my case resulting in poor acceleration performance. Also if the TV cable is out to far, it will also not properly downshift when you need to punch it on the expressways.

I have mine set to go into OD right around 65 to 70 mph. RPMs are right around 2900 in 3rd gear and drop to 1950 in OD @ 70mph. Punching it a little at 70 causes it to shift out of OD and gives me the power and rpms I need to accelerate at a reasonable rate.

Setting the TV cable is a matter of trial and error and finding a position that works for you driving style and a performance level you can accept. There is no correct position for everyone..

btw... I adjusted my TV cable about 2 clicks from the auto adjusted position. I also have a 4T60 with a final drive of 2.84:1. The 2.84 is why I have really low rpms at 70mph. It took me about 6 months to find something I could live with on city streets as well as expressways.

The vacuum controls the "smoothness" of the shifts... That's pretty much it. Adjust it to what you like if you can... I left mine alone since it shifts as smooth as any Cadillac.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got the button to release on the TV cable and I am 90% sure I have it adjusted properly because the hard shift into first, when stopping, has disappeared. I say 90%, because, with me, there is always the chance of a screw up. Now I just need to figure out the High RPM's when cruising.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My88RedGT:

Adjust the TV cable to control the shift points. By moving the cable in (towards the passenger side) you will increase the shiftpoint to a higher RPM. This will also help prevent shifting to early as was in my case resulting in poor acceleration performance. Also if the TV cable is out to far, it will also not properly downshift when you need to punch it on the expressways.

I have mine set to go into OD right around 65 to 70 mph. RPMs are right around 2900 in 3rd gear and drop to 1950 in OD @ 70mph. Punching it a little at 70 causes it to shift out of OD and gives me the power and rpms I need to accelerate at a reasonable rate.

Setting the TV cable is a matter of trial and error and finding a position that works for you driving style and a performance level you can accept. There is no correct position for everyone..

btw... I adjusted my TV cable about 2 clicks from the auto adjusted position. I also have a 4T60 with a final drive of 2.84:1. The 2.84 is why I have really low rpms at 70mph. It took me about 6 months to find something I could live with on city streets as well as expressways.

The vacuum controls the "smoothness" of the shifts... That's pretty much it. Adjust it to what you like if you can... I left mine alone since it shifts as smooth as any Cadillac.

I missed your post while I was out messing with the car, and gave my reply before I read yours. When I was test driving, I did not go up on the interstate, so my TV adjustment may have also solved the higher RPM, at highway speeds, issue also. I do not know what my final drive ratio is. I'm guessing a higher ratio would mean I would run at a little higher RPM's compared to what you said about yours.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I adjusted the cable all the way right, and the highway RPM's went up. Closer to 3000 at 60 mph. Took it home, and adjusted it to the left. Then I was at about 1750 at 60 mph. Much better. I think that is more acceptable, but then the stopping became more objectionable again, and acceleration was less responsive. I'm not sure, but maybe I have a bad cable. The wire part is not kinked, but it does have a slight bend in it, near where it would go back into the sleeve. Maybe a new cable is in order. Thoughts?

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went back and looked at one of the numerous charts I have saved, and if I have the 3:33 final gear ratio, then 1750 or 1800 rpm's at 60 mph is about dead on. I need to get under there and find out which transmission I have.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-30-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay