Started on: 10-28-2014 10:11 PM
Replies: 11 (668 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 10-30-2014 04:46 PM
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently just a cam and valve spring upgrade are the only internal changes. It was installed in place of a 3500 that ran an 11.1 sec quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUgIcavXeZ8

Build thread, video and time slip at the bottom of the page: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyf...12374,start,420.html

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 10-28-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive run for the 3900. I would guess that he's running like 20 psi of intercooled boost

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Impressive run for the 3900. I would guess that he's running like 20 psi of intercooled boost

No mention of anything greater than 15 psi in the thread. He and I have talked back and forth some time ago working between the 8F and 59 code mask and I believe he's using 8F which would be risky above 15 psi since it can't read above that. I have taken it to 20 psi but I run water injection to keep safe AFR at that level.
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, makes me want to keep building my little 3400.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

No mention of anything greater than 15 psi in the thread. He and I have talked back and forth some time ago working between the 8F and 59 code mask and I believe he's using 8F which would be risky above 15 psi since it can't read above that. I have taken it to 20 psi but I run water injection to keep safe AFR at that level.

A 10 second run on a 3900 with only 15 psi of boost is amazing. Thanks for the reminder that that above 14.7 lbs of boost
level you need to go to 3 bar support. I run 11 psi intercooled on my 3800 and all is fine but I guess its fun to push the limit.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get a new bottom end together, I plan on exceeding 2 bar on my 3.4 DOHC. 8F can do it with some changes it seems. There is a point right around 22 lbs of boost that becomes a practical limit. It converts the map sensors filtered signal to kpa to use for calculating BPW. At 22.1 lb's of boost... It hits 255kpa, which is the limit of 8 bit. It can no longer calculate BPW above that map. That's the practical limit of 8F. After that you need to change the calculations to work with a 16bit value, that's a bigger code rework than is worth the effort. Or, maybe it isn't... We'll see. I like 8F for the most part.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
When I get a new bottom end together, I plan on exceeding 2 bar on my 3.4 DOHC. 8F can do it with some changes it seems. There is a point right around 22 lbs of boost that becomes a practical limit. It converts the map sensors filtered signal to kpa to use for calculating BPW. At 22.1 lb's of boost... It hits 255kpa, which is the limit of 8 bit. It can no longer calculate BPW above that map. That's the practical limit of 8F. After that you need to change the calculations to work with a 16bit value, that's a bigger code rework than is worth the effort. Or, maybe it isn't... We'll see. I like 8F for the most part.

Robert Saar was working on a 3 bar modification of 8F, I'm not sure how far he took it. He did develop a higher resolution version taking it to 8000 rpm along with some other mods although I haven't tried to use it. I believe he has it available on the 60 degree or TGP forum.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Switching to obd2 would be real easy.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
Switching to obd2 would be real easy.

Yes, but there are benefits to keeping it as simple as possible and I believe having the skills to modify the code and have it do exactly what you want it to is rewarding in some way also. Diagnostic capability favors OBD II but if you know your system pretty well it's not an important enough benefit for me to go through the trouble.

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He is using $59 AFAIK, 14.5psi boost
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh, 3800's have been doing to for a long time.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Meh, 3800's have been doing to for a long time.

also been around longer to do it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock