Dash pod change question by LornesGT
Started on: 10-27-2014 11:47 PM
Replies: 3 (219 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 10-29-2014 12:18 AM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So looked at different cars in the junk yard today got me thinking about a dash change or at least guage change. I know the newer cars are all controlled by bcm and ecms, even the Fiero. So what would be the limitations to switch to something more up to date? Would I have to use the 7730 ( I think) and reprogram or the car I took the guage out of and it's ECM or .... I figure some of the cars would even require the seat module and no telling what else.

Are there companies or people on here that make guage that would fit other than the digital one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

So looked at different cars in the junk yard today got me thinking about a dash change or at least guage change. I know the newer cars are all controlled by bcm and ecms, even the Fiero. So what would be the limitations to switch to something more up to date? Would I have to use the 7730 ( I think) and reprogram or the car I took the guage out of and it's ECM or .... I figure some of the cars would even require the seat module and no telling what else.

Are there companies or people on here that make guage that would fit other than the digital one?

There are many individuals and companies that can supply analog gauges that work in a Fiero. Search is your best friend in this matter but I can supply an example from personal experience since I have VDO gauges in one of my cars and they would work with either a conventional distributor or a 7730. Some minor mods may be necessary depending on the specific engine/instrumentation combination.

Nelson
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero really has no computer control of any of its instruments.
The speedometer is run off of pulses supplied by the VSS, instead of a cable. The other gauges are fed by senders/sensors as they always have been.
They don't really start being controlled by a BCM until 1996, or thereabout. (The beginning of OBD2.)

The Fiero ECM is fairly primitive, in the grand scheme of things. Really all it controls is the fuel injection and ignition timing. (Of course there are inputs from other sensors, but that's what it all boils down to.)
Later ECMs/PCMs (starting around 1991) also controlled automatic tranny shift points.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-28-2014).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Altough not a clear picture I found the ring portion in a vibe. I snatch it and then put it in one of the Fieros for maybe grabbing it later. I googled Aztec thinking it came out that model and on a side not didn't realize this model could look this good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock