Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How Far Should a Coolant Hose be from the Serpentine Belt?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How Far Should a Coolant Hose be from the Serpentine Belt? by don297
Started on: 10-27-2014 03:48 PM
Replies: 3 (134 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 10-27-2014 08:51 PM
don297

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the lower radiator hose on my 1984 3800sc has been a beech to get in, I have tried many combinations and I finally got 2 hoses that fit together and work, but the hoses only clear the ac compressor pulley belt by like half inch to an inch. Will this be enough clearance to prevent rubbing on the pulley, or should I go searching for another hose?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be plenty of room there should be no movement in the coolant hose or the pulley/belt. I think mine is about half an inch from the belt and have had no problems yet. About 400 miles since the swap. If your hose has some flex for some reason you can just put a strap or good quality zip tie on for peace of mind.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was also too close for comfort. Noticed one very small mark where the AC pulley brushed it maybe once or twice, but not continually. I used a tie strap to hold it about 3/4" from the pulley. I'd like it to be further away, but there just isn't any more room. The tie strap will keep the hose from potentially coming in contact with the pulley on hard road bumps.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used metal straps to hold my coolant hose away from a spinning pully and belt.
If you're really concerned about it, take a thin sheet of aluminum and bend it into a piece of "armor" for the hose. It can be held in place with straps or zip ties. As long as there is no movement, the ties (or shield) shouldn't damage the hose.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock