Radiator Drain Plug by Pegasus88GT
Started on: 10-25-2014 03:50 PM
Replies: 17 (1656 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 02-17-2021 02:14 AM
Pegasus88GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero hasn't leaked coolant since last winter when I replaced the hose connecting to the thermostat. Recently I've noticed I've been losing coolant and it's gotten to the point where it will leave a noticeable trail once warmed up. I'm in college so I don't take it on very long trips unless I'm heading home but yesterday I noticed it dripping more than usual and it was coming from the front of the car beneath the radiator. Today I was able to check the hoses and they seem snug. The plastic radiator plug in the bottom passenger side corner was my only other real suspect. I attempted to tighten it but when I did coolant started to flush out and it wouldn't tighten. I wasn't sure if it was a screw or a valve so I backed it out completely to realize it indeed was a screw. I then reinserted it and tried to tighten it but it seems stripped or something. The threads on the screw are perfect. It still seems to steadily drip when the car is running. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried to search about the radiator drain plug but didn't find much helpful. Also, the radiator is only two years old. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the radiator and its the plug in the bottom right hand corner

The plug when pulled out looks somewhat like this but only the stem and seal. I'm not sure if the body's in there or what's going on.

Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Pegasus88GT (edited 10-25-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacement plugs are available at your favorite auto parts store.....
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body can be replaced. It's designed that way so that the radiator doesn't get damaged. Grab and squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. It's recessed almost to the square hole in your diagram. Once you've compressed and pulled it out about 3/8 inch, you can grasp and squeeze it with your fingers to get it completely out.
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you guys are guessing the body just got damaged and the screw just isn't threading into it correctly? I appreciate the feedback.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there an "O" ring on the screw in valve ?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a spare one to check, but I think the only thing is the flat rubber washer seal. I don't believe there's an O-ring on the stem. Pegasus, if the threads on the stem aren't stripped, be sure the base is fully inserted into the radiator. It must be fully inserted in order for the seal to be captured between the stem cap and the sealing surface inside the radiator.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-26-2014).]

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies! It was hard to diagnose in the parking lot with just a socket set but I think I may try to get it home this weekend to get underneath of it and check it out. I thought I pushed it in pretty hard but may not have. If I need a new plug has anyone seen this type before. All the ones I find for the Fiero don't look like the one I have.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you find that the stem is good and you only need the body, let me know. I'll send one to you. Email or pm me.
Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you find that the stem is good and you only need the body, let me know. I'll send one to you. Email or pm me.

Thank you! I'll let you know what I find out.

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I found the culprit. The leak was indeed coming from the drain plug. Funny how things break a few weeks after the radiator's 2 year warranty. The drain plug is two pieces and the clip that the plug screws into was cracked causing the plug to be unable to thread in and tighten. Unfortunately, the clip is a very odd plus (+) shape and none of the parts stores had anything that would work. On the bright side I was able to contact the radiator manufacturer, Spectra Premium, and they are sending a replacement drain plug to my house for free. If all goes well I'll head back home next weekend and install the new plug and put the radiator back in. Gotta love plastic parts!!!

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend is going through the grief of replacing this type of radiator petcock.
Everything listed at rockauto.com is completely wrong.

We're not sure if this is correct. The square part may be wrong.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-20191-61109.aspx

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-16-2020).]

cle_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cle_fieroSend a Private Message to cle_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did y'all ever figure out the part number or a reputable source for the drain silcock? Mines definitely cracked, luckily isn't leaking right now but if it starts that will be a bad day.

[This message has been edited by cle_fiero (edited 02-14-2021).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one thing that scares me to remove. Never have touched one. It's just safer and easier to remove the lower radiator hose. Same result.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:
That's one thing that scares me to remove. Never have touched one. It's just safer and easier to remove the lower radiator hose. Same result.
Is what I do too, "when needed" and Not just GM/Fiero rad's.

For Fiero,
When you drain right tube under the car, drains most of Radiator and much of block too.
When flushing and filling as said in cave Coolant Fill... water left in block and rad won't matter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cle_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2021 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cle_fieroSend a Private Message to cle_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, ogre and reinhart. I've never touched the knob, but while working on my front end I noticed that the plugs handle was bent and broken. Touching the thing revealed the plastic was cheese - apparently from glycol penetration into cracks in the injection molded silcock ends.

Luckily, I was able to fish out the 'bits' of goopy plastic, flush the radiator a bit to remove any lost solids, and replace with Dorman 61109 - dimensions were identical to the old plug, and installed fine!

Link to the one I bought:
https://www.autozone.com/co...-plug-61109/1049_0_0

[This message has been edited by cle_fiero (edited 02-16-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2021 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good coolant mix won't cause most problems.
But...
Weak or No coolant Will.
Examples:
Even people using 50/50 mix after flushing cause problems because water trap in the block etc causes weak coolant.
EG and PG in coolant isn't only thing in them and doesn't wear out, spoil, or whatever myth but anti rust and other chemicals do Wear Out.
Weak coolant to Plain Water will attack many parts not just cause "rust" for Iron and Aluminum.

If the drain "plug" parts are bad... WP Seal may have problems too.
Coolant is lube to WP seal. Likely has things to protect plastic... If coolant doesn't have a "plasticizer" then likely still tries to stop soft parts like WP seal leaching out the "plasticizer" they have.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2021 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen one before but it looks like it'd be impossible to damage the outlet tank by overtightening it. The threads are not part of the tank but part of the drain plug. That makes me less hesitant to remove the plug if I needed to. I don't believe the outlet tanks are sold separately anymore so if the tank were damaged from even something silly light a drain plug the whole radiator would have to be replaced so good thing it doesn't seem to be an issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock