Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Maximum width wheels can be run on an 87 with coilovers?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Maximum width wheels can be run on an 87 with coilovers? by zmcdonal
Started on: 10-24-2014 09:23 PM
Replies: 14 (1985 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 12-04-2014 07:12 PM
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT has had a hub conversion done so it now has a 5x4.75 bolt pattern. I need some help figuring out what width I can run in the rear. Since I now have the same bolt pattern as a Corvette, I was hoping I could find some used Corvette wheels to run, but I am not sure what to look for. I have looked at the Fiero wheel offset diagram from other threads and it seems a little confusing to me.

Is the strut line that's shown for factory struts and springs or for coilovers? It looks like the absolute widest that can be run without sticking out the fender or hitting the strut would be 8.5" but I am running 18x8's on the back of my other 87 without coilovers and they clear. Do coilovers only give an extra 1/2" of clearance?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a hold of Nosaint on here. He is running 19x9.5 in the rear with coilovers but I don't know the offset:

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Get a hold of Nosaint on here. He is running 19x9.5 in the rear with coilovers but I don't know the offset:

That's a good idea. I've always loved the stance of that car.

Some of the cars on here have really nice wheel/tire/stance so I'd love for all the experts to come in.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zmcdonal

1676 posts
Member since Oct 2005
Oops double post, darn phone browser.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 10-24-2014).]

Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe his wheels are MRR GT01 19x9.5 +45mm on the rear.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 10-24-2014).]

LorenBateman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever they are,,,,,Thats gorgeous ( picking jaw up off floor)
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 18x9.5 in the rear with coilovers, it's very close but it clears with no issues at all. With the angle of the strut the 19x9.5 would actually have more clearance then the 18's do.

FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:
I have 18x9.5 in the rear with coilovers, it's very close but it clears with no issues at all.
With the angle of the strut the 19x9.5 would actually have more clearance then the 18's do.

What is the offset on your 18x9.5" rear wheels?

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

What is the offset on your 18x9.5" rear wheels?

+40
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

I have 18x9.5 in the rear with coilovers, it's very close but it clears with no issues at all. With the angle of the strut the 19x9.5 would actually have more clearance then the 18's do.

Is yours a pre88? Or is there a difference when running coilovers? Also if you wouldn't mind sharing, what tire sizes are you running? Your car looks sweet by the way.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Is yours a pre88? Or is there a difference when running coilovers? Also if you wouldn't mind sharing, what tire sizes are you running? Your car looks sweet by the way.

Thanks, it's a 87. The tires are Nitto NT 555 255/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front.
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what wheels are those? xxr? i like that alot

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 18x9 (45mm offset) in the rear of my 88 with 275/35/18s and -2.0 deg camber. This is the biggest tire that will fit in the rear wheel well. It rubs on the inner and outer fender under hard cornering even with a rear swaybar and 475# springs. A wider tire with a smaller diameter could fit. You have room for more rim width but remember you still have to clear the outer fender lip at full compression, so the tire can't be too wide. Tire clearance on the inside is less of a problem because it won't crack your rear clip when it happens.

I can't comment on wheel clearance for 84-87 since I only have an 88 but the actual wheel well dimensions are the same so you have the same ultimate tire size limitations.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as wheel width and offsets go for the rear, is the clearance of the 84-87 the same as the 88 in the rear? I know the fronts of the 88's have special offsets but I am assuming that the rear fitment was the same for all years due to the fact that they all ran the same lace wheels in the rear.

I have been reading through the show off your custom wheels thread and researching a few cars that I really like the fitments of to get width and offset to look for but I think a lot of them are 88's.

The wheel company that I contacted needed offsets to give me an idea as far as pricing would go. I really like the stance of my other 87 Fiero with 17x7's in the front and 18x8's in the rear but I have no idea what offsets they are. They told me to take the wheels off and they should be stamped. I did that today, there is not a single mark that indicates offset anywhere on them.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zmcdonal

1676 posts
Member since Oct 2005
It looks like from what I have read I should be safe to run a 9x38mm offset for the rear since I have coilovers. As for the front's it looks like 8x35mm would be perfect HOWEVER, I am running a brake upgrade with turned down Fiero hubs up front, so what would be a good offset up front to compensate for that?

Or would a 7 inch rim in the front be a better option?

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 12-04-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock