Steering out by ninjayogi
Started on: 10-21-2014 06:29 PM
Replies: 13 (412 views)
Last post by: ninjayogi on 11-15-2014 08:52 PM
ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I sit here in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck I am thankful that this didn't happen while I was going 60. I was stopped at a gas station and went to take off and I felt a thud in my steering wheel and it is now slipping. If I turn it it will turn the wheels but it seems with very much pressure it will slip . Any ideas.. Grrrrrrrrrr
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imabaddude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the front suspension and steering rack. I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you could be more descriptive it would help. It sounds like either something with your rack, or a tie rod or balljoint snapped.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possible it could be a stripped steering knuckle joint I think they call them. The part that actually attaches to the steering box shaft that comes out of the steering box or a stripped steer box or rack. Many things involved that could cause it but look at the first suggestion while someone else is turning the steering wheel.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-21-2014).]

ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a few minutes to sit in it and it appears as it turns that about the same point about a half turn it makes like a banging sound and slips. The tires do turn and when they are fully turned the wheel does stop and I have put some strength into it to see if I can force it to move but it stops like it should. When I start to turn it back the other way it starts doing it again. I know nothing about steering.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ninjayogi:

I had a few minutes to sit in it and it appears as it turns that about the same point about a half turn it makes like a banging sound and slips. The tires do turn and when they are fully turned the wheel does stop and I have put some strength into it to see if I can force it to move but it stops like it should. When I start to turn it back the other way it starts doing it again. I know nothing about steering.

First I would do as I said above and get a helper to ether watch or turn the wheel while you watch, at least go that far your eyes work and you can se if something is moving or not.

Then I would pickup a repair manual, even just a Chilton's would be of some help to you and cheap enough $20 I think not the best but does give you the basics and is for all 4 years our Fiero's are made in one book. or there is always the Fiero factory service manual but much more expensive around $100 I think it is now but someone here I think has it on digital and available for us when we ask. You need some basic info and pictures, or you could look here,

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/

or here

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ysPrune=2&LastLogin=

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-24-2014).]

ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I have looked underneath the car and I don't see anything really obvious. I have made a video of it you can watch on the link below. You can hear the sounds that it makes when it slips. What it looks like from underneath is that the pressure put on the tires is all of a sudden released and they kind of jump a little after it makes the sound. I am absolutely sure that when someone who knows about steering sees the video they will know exactly what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5IKpDcg0c

[This message has been edited by ninjayogi (edited 10-25-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
either the gear in the rack itself is losing a tooth, OR, where the steering column Coupler bolts onto the rack ( 1 bolt) it is loose.
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had this problem. what happened to mine was the boot at the steering rack slipped off allowing water into the rack at the pinion gear which rotted the pinion bearing. I ended up buying a rebuilt rack and just replacing it. I took the old one apart to see what it involved and I think if you can get the parts it's not too bad of a job to rebuild it.
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that is probably what the problem is, where do I get a rebuilt rack for it so that I know what kind of $$$$ I am looking at? Also are there any instruction on this site on how to do it, I don't see any but then I am new here and not really good at the search function. TIA - Travis

[This message has been edited by ninjayogi (edited 10-26-2014).]

imabaddude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabaddudeSend a Private Message to imabaddudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, now I understand what you meant. I had a similar problem. I had to replace the transcooler lines, routed them, and then hit a bump and all the sudden it was hard to turn right, and then when it would it would just POP and turn easily. It was a pain trying to bend those lines around the steering rack following the stock routing, and what happened was a line was interfering with the steering. Just bent it more and haven't had that problem.
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the sound of it looks like the problem might be coming from in here. I am assuming that this is the linkage. How do I get this boot off, do I just cut it off, and what do I need to look for once I do? Thanks for all of your help.

[This message has been edited by ninjayogi (edited 11-08-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The boot just stretches over the... should be a hard plastic sleeve about 2-3 inches long. That sleeve is a force fit over the rack where the pinion shaft goes in.

Sounds to me like the pinion gear (gear on the end of the steering shaft) is broken or stripped. That, or the bearing that supports it.

There is a preload adjustment on the top of the rack, but I think it's going to take more than that.

Remove the spare tire tub for easy access to the rack. To get the tub out you'll have to remove the two rubber drain hoses that are screwed into the back corners of the tub.
If your car has a sunroof, there will also be two tabs sticking out from the front of the compartment that must be unbolted. Not a big deal... I just forget every time.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-09-2014).]

ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took out the tub, which is awesome because you can get to everything. It looks like there are only four bolts holding in the rack other than the tie rods. So I just have to remove those bolts, disconnect the rods, and I can just pull it out right? The boot still confuses me because it is not mentioned in the manual, Do I just pry it off the white plastic sleeve or do I pry the sleeve up?
ninjayogi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the rack, I replaced it and it works better than ever now. Its a totally different drive. That pinch bolt is a PIA!!!! Thank you for all of your help on this.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock