Under hood light by donuteater306
Started on: 10-21-2014 12:00 PM
Replies: 9 (300 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-21-2014 05:13 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a couple of underhood lights that I was going to install on the engine compartment deck lid. That is, until I realized that because of the steep angle, they'd be shining in my face and not on the engine when the lid is open. Any suggestions, other than to go buy a flashlight? Lol I'm sure other's have made this mod.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for lights that shine down, not out... sort of like the old license plate lights on bumpers.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think late 90's Silverado's have an underhood light that is mounted to the firewall. If I remember correctly the light was removable and had like a 6 foot cord attached to it. You can prolly make that work. do a search on ebay for 1988-1999 chevy c1500 underhood light/work light, cant post ebay links while at work.

[This message has been edited by hiwil88formula (edited 10-21-2014).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea. I guess that instead of relying on a Mercury switch, I could tap into the trunk light circuit and use that for the auto on/off.
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is one on ebay for 20 bucks right now w free shipping.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 90's Silverado set-up with the cord. its a great idea. Originally, I was picturing something like what's on 80-late 90's Corvettes.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, those lights work. I had one on my '92 truck. You could also just throw some cheap HF led flashlights in the center console
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for bringing up the question, time for a trip to the JY.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A nice strip of LED's work great and cheap. tie into the trunk light wire.(I put a switch there) It is on the drivers side corner just infront of that side of the trunk. orange and a white wire.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To get off the subject slightly. I just changed out the std trunk light bulb to a LED array bulb. The bulb number is either 561 or 562 with the wire loop ends. It makes a huge difference in light, uses less power, will last for years and it looks far more modern. I favor LED lights for the interior, trunk and side indicators . Should look great in the engine compartment too. For the tail lights they are more tricky to get them to focus correctly and to work with the flasher.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock