87 harness on an 86 engine by nickwstp
Started on: 10-21-2014 11:51 AM
Replies: 5 (136 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-22-2014 11:10 AM
nickwstp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today Im going to be putting a 87 gt harness on an 86 engine. Was hoping someone will know of any problems I may encounter and possable ways to solve them?

One odd thing I noticed when taking it off was that one of the alternator wires had been cut and not fixed, but yet the car did not have any electrical issues before it's fatal overheat. (think the temp guage doesn't work...)

I will be trying to route the harness on the tail light side a little lower since it feels a little crispy from being too close to the exhaust manafolds
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should also say that the donor engine is from an 86 standard trans and it's going in to an 87 auto trans
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you are putting a engine that came from a 86 MT into an 87 AT. You are keeping the same engine harness that was in the car, in the car. Only the engine changes correct? The car was an AT and will stay an AT correct?

No problems, no modifications needed. You will need to fix your alternator wiring however.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-21-2014).]

nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Everything went great, Think Im about ready to get the whole thing back in the car tomorrow.

I deleted the ac compressor and brackets, but found shorter bolts from the dead engine to hold the rest of the monsterous dog bone bracket.
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i did actually have a small issue, on the big 8 or 10 wire connector that goes on the transmission looked like one of the sockets on the harness was missing. does everybodys look that way or is mine actually missing a socket?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 3 connectors to the transmission. One at the left front for the TCC switch, and two back near the VSS. One is for the VSS and the other is for the backup light. Those two appear identical on the outside, but one is male and one is female.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock