Car trying to die between 65-80 by bishop144
Started on: 10-21-2014 09:43 AM
Replies: 4 (105 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-21-2014 01:39 PM
bishop144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really sure what's happening with my 87 GT. From 0-65 it behaves normally, but 65-80 it acts like it wants to die, like there isn't enough fuel getting to the motor. But, after 80 it's fine, even up to really high speeds, I had it at 102 and it was running fine. Also, the service engine light comes on and the engine slows down, then it speeds back up and the light goes out, but it keeps doing this over and over until i get below 65 or above 80. At first I thought it was the alternator, not making enough electricity to run the fuel system & the accessories at highway speeds (I eliminated that theory (I shut off everything in the cabin, still did it)), then I thought something was clogging the fuel lines, but I remembered I had used Seafoam (Again theory busted).

Next I thought that fuel pump could be going bad, but that theory is out the window, if the pump were going bad, it would do that at ALL speeds, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm just throwing out one of the ideas I had, but I think that when the car was new, someone tried to install a fuel cutoff and it didn't work right so they just left it on. Now, it somehow started working and is trying to cut the fuel off at 65. Again, just something I've considered when trying to fix this problem.

Any help is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start by seeing if there are any stored codes:

//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
bishop144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try that as soon as I can. I'll let you know if there are any codes.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the trouble is still happening, it would be a good idea to see what the fuel pressure is doing when this happens. If something was causing the fuel pressure to drop, and I have no idea what that something could be, but, if it were, you could be leaning out and getting the check engine light for that reason.

Two people are needed for this. Make sure you have no fuel leaks before taking off with the gauge attached. You can route it out the side engine grate (removed) and tape the gauge to the back windscreen.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, when is the last time you had a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, etc)?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock