what kind of sealer to use in trunk? by kawana
Started on: 10-19-2014 04:08 PM
Replies: 5 (166 views)
Last post by: Tha Driver on 10-20-2014 03:14 AM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished patching up some rust in my trunk. What kind of sealer/calking should I use to fill in gaps? What is the white stuff that came in the trunk from the factory?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gaps? I would use seam sealer along the seams but it will not do a lot for gaps
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I mean is that I want something to fill in any pits in my welded patches. I had to do hundreds of tacks rather than a nice bead, so there are little divets here and there. I dont want to have any little spots for water to pool, so I want to put a layer of calking or something over my welds.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh then use seam seeler , you can buy it at autozone I would prep and paint the welded area to keep it from rusting then cover it with seam sealer ,
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great, thanks for the advice.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to brush primer on areas like this to work it down into the cracks. I use PPG epoxy primer, but you can use Rustoleum "rusty metal primer" in a spray can. Load it up, brush it in, & let it dry. Get the autobody seam sealer in a caulking tube: you can use a towel to brush over it to look factory if you like, or just smooth it out with your fingers. After it drys prime the area again. Make sure you do both sides to prevent rust.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay