2.8L EGR Valve, checking operation by hdryder
Started on: 10-18-2014 05:14 PM
Replies: 2 (901 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 10-18-2014 08:16 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stock '87 GT 5-speed and a stock '88 GT auto. The '87 has had a rough idle. The '88 has a smooth idle.
I am trying to check vacuum lines on the '87 for a leak. When I pull the small line off the top of the EGR Valve on both cars, I hear and feel no difference in motor operation.

What should the correct normal result be when the small vacuum line is removed from the top of the EGR Valve on a normally operating 2.8L?
Would it depend on engine temp, or other variable?

Thank you for the help on this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't getting a code 32 when you drive, then the vacuum lines on both are probably good. To test the EGR valves, with engine off and cold, disconnect the vacuum line at the valve, underneath press up on the diaphragm with your fingers and cap the port with your finger. Hold your finger on it for about 30 seconds while feeling for the diaphragm to leak down. If it doesn't leak down, the valve is good. You can do the same test using the vacuum line by disconnecting it at the EGR solenoid and capping it instead of at the port on the valve. That way you test the line and valve at the same time.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The reason you don't feel any vacuum from the line when you pull it off the EGR valve is because there isn't any applied until commanded by the ECM. The ECM only does this under certain conditions like part throttle cruise. Once the right conditions are met, the ECM triggers the vacuum solenoid to open, allowing vacuum to be applied to the line you're trying to test.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock