HELP SOMETHINGS WRONG! ! by 88 fiero formula
Started on: 10-18-2014 04:27 PM
Replies: 7 (280 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 10-19-2014 09:15 PM
88 fiero formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an 88 formula and I was driving it. My first stick shift car. Then I put in the clutch to shift and let all the way off the gass and the rpms ran up to 3000 and now every time I push in my clutch they stay at three thousand i dont know what to do and desperately need advice is was running perfectly and then outta nowhere just started somebody anybody please
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do the RPMs jump up to 3k when you start the car?

[This message has been edited by Ken_86gt (edited 10-18-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Binding throttle or vacuum leak. I'm guessing it's a vacuum leak.

There is a corrugated metal tube that goes from the exhaust crossover to the bottom of the orange intake manifold neck. Those tubes are famous for cracking just below where they bolt to the bottom of the manifold neck.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=22&products_id=308

I see that you are near Huntsville. About 10-12 miles north of Huntsville (in Toney) is the Fiero Factory (now aka TFF Automotive.)
If you go north on 53/Jordan Lane, it's on the right, after you get out into the country. If you get to Tennessee, you've gone too far.
They have most any part you would need. Kind of spendy, sometimes, but they know Fieros very well.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-18-2014).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car have cruise? Is it on? Can you post some pictures of the throttle body, clutch slave, and the clutch switches under the dash? Look below for how to post pictures.
88 fiero formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant post pictures right now but to answer some of the questions it jumps up to 3000 when idle or in neutral like when the clutch is in once its in gear it oulls enough to keep the rpms down but when the clutch is in its at 3000
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely as Radar posted
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut a piece of aluminum can the with of the UPC bar code. Take off the dist cap but don't remove the wires. Set it aside

Loosen but don't remove the two 10mm head bolts that hold the EGR tube to the bottom of the upper intake manifold. It will be hard but you can do it. Slide the piece of aluminum in between the upper manifold and the EGR tube. Tighten the bolts.

If this temp fix solved your high idle problem then the problem is the EGR tube.

It will be sandwiched in between here.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What rpms do you have at 55 mph? Do you have any codes? Is the Service Engine light on at any time? If you have a vacuum leak or a bad idle control valve it will idle at 2k, but your tach might be off. Either way that should give you a code 35. Idle air controls sometimes just stick. You may be able to unstick it just by taking the snorkel off and cleaning the throttle body with throttle body cleaner (as opposed to carb cleaner which has silicone in it that's bad for oxygen sensors). Easy does it. Too much could mess up an otherwise serviceable idle air control, which costs around forty bucks. You can also take the IAC out and clean the channel, but you could lose the pintle, see IAC = forty bucks above. If it's just sticking it will likely work sometimes, like when warm.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock