Update to this post - iron duke burning oil by newfiejeff
Started on: 10-18-2014 12:11 PM
Replies: 20 (843 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 05-27-2015 06:21 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4 188,000 klms

Update to this post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133071.html

Finally got a new compression tester.I done a dry test of all cylinders with the gas pedal to the floor. Going from gear case to the passenger side this is what I got
145 150 137 145
Wet test
150 152 150 149
All of the plugs got no sign of fouling, they look perfect.
Is the rings on that one cylinder? If so do you think it's sticking and what can I try before tearing it down? Would a good long hard drive help? I am grasping at straws..lol

Jeff
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
at 188K, you can't ask for more than that !
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are the numbers ok?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes....that's what Lou is trying to say....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds good. I am not sure what the original issue is....
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now the car is burning oil. Example, going down a long hill the other day just idling along(foot of the pedal, behind cars) i could see it smoking a little. I stopped at the bottom of the hill to the gas station to get gas. I came out and started it up and it filled the parking lot, drove it home after that it seems fine but still could be smoking going along the road. My buddy also told me too that he was behind me one time and he could see smoke coming out when the strain is on or changing gears.

I am after replacing the valve stem oil seals, but there was none to change for the exhaust.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like valve seals. Most engines don't use them on exhaust since they don't open under vacuum that would suck oil into the intake, and they run hotter. I would also suggest changing the pcv valve.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New valve stem seals and a new PCV valve.
There is a bit of air coming from the rocker cover, not where the oil goes in but the one underneath the breather, not much but I don't know if any should be coming out.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, your "Compression Rings" are fine, always the "Possibility" that the oil rings are " stuck". try some Risoline or Marvel. Still, has all the earmarks of bad valve seals.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lou. I only replaced the valve seals about 700 or 800 klms ago. Would worn valve guides give this issue with new seals?
If it is a stuck ring would seafoam or something else help to free it?
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like your valves guides need work. New seals can sometimes help for a while, but the underlying problem is still there. Smoke under deceleration is typically valve guides.
PFF
System Bot
Ken_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ken_86gt

574 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Some air coming from the breather is normal. Excess air would indicate ring blowby. It will only get worse as the engine wears. The breather should connect to the intake of the engine to keep the crankcase under a slight vacuum, this help keep the emissions down and helps the various seals in the engine from leaking oil due to crankscase pressure.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worn Valve guides and seals will cause oil burning, especially when engine is starting cold... Replacing Valve seals can reduce that but likely still get some smoke.

Source: 86 FSM

137 is low but within range above.
Could burn some oil because of this and replacing Valve seals won't help

Edit to add...
Burning oil will kill the cat. Worse can cause it to overheat and is a major safety problem. Replacing it w/ burning oil engine won't last long.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-19-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
back in the day we would install both types of valve guide seals. first on would be the O-ring type. 2nd would be the Boot type.

I think you can put seals on the exhaust side without any problems
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed new o rings and the stem seal, it helped a lot from cold on startup. Nothing to put on the exhaust side.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update to the update.
Finally got the chance to measure how much the old duke is burning. I drove it around town for about 400klms and it was down about 1/4 mark on the dipstick. I drove it to our larger city and back so it was highway driving 100/110klm for about another 350+ klms. Just checked the dipstick and its down just below the add mark.
I stopped once for gas and when I started it was a large puff of blue smoke behind me and then it was gone about 20 seconds later and couldn't see nothing after, same thing happened when I got into town, stopped for about 5 mins again and same thing when I started.

So would valve guides make her burn this much?
If its the rings would burning this much foul the plug which is not happening?

Any thoughts again.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Update to the update.
Finally got the chance to measure how much the old duke is burning. I drove it around town for about 400klms and it was down about 1/4 mark on the dipstick. I drove it to our larger city and back so it was highway driving 100/110klm for about another 350+ klms. Just checked the dipstick and its down just below the add mark.
I stopped once for gas and when I started it was a large puff of blue smoke behind me and then it was gone about 20 seconds later and couldn't see nothing after, same thing happened when I got into town, stopped for about 5 mins again and same thing when I started.

So would valve guides make her burn this much?
If its the rings would burning this much foul the plug which is not happening?

Any thoughts again.

Interesting. We have an 86 Duke with 50k original on it that has start up puff and it doesnt use any measurable oil. I dont add any all year. So for me the seals and guides would not be the cause of burning while driving.

The PCV system on yours checks out? Is there oil in your air cleaner?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New PCV valve and no oil in the breather(clean as a whistle).
As in a another post(thought I would bring this one to life again). I drove about 375klms and the car went down about half way on the markings on the dipstick.

Also when I replaced the stem seals I replaced them on all valves but I didn't use the umbrella ones on the exhaust, would that make a difference?
"edit" The car definitely burns oil after decel(down a hill)when I give her the gas at the bottom of the hill. Sometimes when I drive the car and then park for a few minutes, it puffs blue smoke when started but not all the time. Would the missing umbrella seals cause this, my opionion they don't seem to be doing much.

[This message has been edited by newfiejeff (edited 05-27-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the car a stick? If so disregard the rest of this. If the auto has a vacuum modulator it can go bad and cause smoke at high vacuum. I had a 442 that acted like it needed valve seals. I tore the motor completely down and in the process I found oil dripping out of the vacuum line that went from the transmission to the intake. Just a thought.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes a standard
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock