Did I kill my car? by Rick 88
Started on: 10-17-2014 12:16 PM
Replies: 6 (321 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-17-2014 09:04 PM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,

Ok, I'm a big dummy. My car threw a check engine light. I was going to try to run win aldl last night to see what the problem was but may have inadvertently popped a fuse, or somting worse. I used a paperclip to pull codes and found out it was a code 45. However I accidentally removed the paper clip with the key in the run position. Now my car will only crank, I can smell fuel but there is no spark. Did I pop a fuse or fry the ECM. Where should I look first?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the tach move when you crank the engine over?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should be able to pull that jumper with the engine running and have no problems. I don't think you did any harm by pulling the jumper.

-Mitch
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you hear the fuel pump run? It should run for two seconds when you first turn the key to on.

Check the fuel pump fuse. btw the fuse box swings vertical. Squeeze the two clips of the fuse box, push up slightly to release the pressure and then let it swing down vertical.

The fuel pump fuse is the only one you would blow by putting the paperclip in wrong in the ALDL connector and it would prevent the engine from running.

If that doesn't do it -

Check for fuel in the vacuum line that runs into the T on the right hand side (passengers) of the upper manifold. There should be no fuel in that vacuum line.
If no fuel and the fuel pump is indeed running - Unplug the green connector from the MAP sensor - right next to that vacuum T and see if that gets the engine started.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-17-2014).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is an 88 car?
engine in car?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys!

Turns out it was the fuel pump fuse. Mine has a 5 amp in it and I replaced it with the same. I see in the pictures Phonedawgz sent there is a 10 amp. Is a 10 the correct amperage.

Anyway it runs. I still have a code 45 and I am thinking the Bosch O2 may be the culprit from what I have read. It triggers the check engine light when it is cold and coasting down hill. It goes away when back on power. If I run win aldl what shoud I look for?

You guys rock!

Wow, I am dumb. Guess I should have read the fuse panel itself. It does say "10" under the fuse position. Wonder why there was a 5 amp in there?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-17-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Wow, I am dumb. Guess I should have read the fuse panel itself.

And perhaps posted about this in one thread.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-17-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock