Driver Door - What Would You Do? by Notorio
Started on: 10-15-2014 11:48 PM
Replies: 16 (495 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 10-29-2014 11:39 AM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still learning what problems my new GT has. Was replacing the inner & outer dew wipes today on the driver door and since the window motor is extremely slow I took the outer door panel off so I could easily clean and lube up the tracks. This helped a little bit but w/the new dew wipes installed the motor is still extremely slow. Pretty sure the glass isn't binding anywhere. Also, in doing the job I could also see that the driver's glass is very, very scratched from the old wipes (which literally crumbled to the touch.) So I need a Motor and a Window ...

Should I ...

1-Get a new motor ($45, Fiero store) and a new window (unknown cost), or

2-Find another door with working motor and good glass, or

3-Can the scratches be polished out (doubtful, since they are easily felt with my finger nail).

John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the scratches Won't come out. find used glass or door. the motors are about $25 on ebay, already changed mine, enormous difference. (sometimes the switches aren't any good either)
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The slow window operation is usually caused by worn window switches. The power to run the window motor is run directly through the switch, over time the switch contacts get dirty which reduces the voltage going to the motor thus slowing it down. Rodney Dickman sells a "window helper" on his website. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=21&products_id=271

This is essentially a relay box which takes the place of the switch for routing power and the switch just turns the relay on and off. I would try these before I replace the motor. I wired in window switches from a newer car on mine last year and it really sped up the windows.

As for the glass, A guy from Prosource had a run of windows made but I'm unsure if any remain. Otherwise used is your only other option.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-16-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dewwipes may be too tight also. Double check to make sure the window can freely move up and down. I installed power windows in my '87 (low mileage) and I had to adjust the felt guides (dew wipe and inside guides) as they were keeping the window from moving fast. This was not noticeable with manual windows, but with power windows...it slowed them right down. Anyway, make sure you adjust those guides before spending money on other parts. When you lubed the tracks, did you clean out the old grease? You should remove the regulator/motor assembly, and clean everything up and then lube the tracks.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As said above clean the tracks, more important clean out the switches.
Then if you want to add the relay option I also sell a relay option https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069004.html I have one set left
We have doors too, but prob too cost prohibitive to ship.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I measure the voltage across the window switches, will they show 'low' if they are wearing out?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

If I measure the voltage across the window switches, will they show 'low' if they are wearing out?

They are contact switches... they connect or they don't (like a light switch at home)

Check with an ohm meter to make sure they are good (good connection). They may be gunked up and the contact surfaces are coated with old drinks (sugar... beer, etc). A good electrical contact cleaner should take care of that stuff. If you have nothing to lose, even brake cleaner, but that would be a last resort.

Want to check window motor directly... apply power to the motor directly and reverse the connections to change the direction of the motor. You have to pop off the door panel (inside) to get to them, but that is an easy way to check the motors and connections, if wiring is in doubt.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-16-2014).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've sold 90 plus pairs of dew wipes and have never heard of them slowing the window motors down. That being said, the 2 window guides on top of the inside of the door are adjustable. Move them back a bit and see if the window speeds up.
The window switch carries full current through it and any dirt or corrosion on the switch contacts will act like a resistor and reduce the amount of voltage getting to the motor. A simple test would be to do a voltage drop test across the switch. You could also check the voltage at the motor when the motor is running. As was mentioned above, if you apply battery power directly to the motor and it runs faster then the problem lies in the switch or wiring.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Little update:

1-Adjusted the window guides and that speeded things up. With full battery charge the Driver's side goes up or down in about 4-5 seconds. I can definitely live with that.

2-Measured the voltage across the connector to the window motor (disconnected). The drop across the connector is 0.2 v less than measuring at the battery terminals, so very little 'loss' in the switch or wiring ... these appear to be OK. This implies that the motor is a bit tired but I'll refrain from replacing it now.

3-No, I didn't clean out the window tracks before relubing (only partially cleaned I should say.) When I get a new window I will do the complete disassembly and cleaning.

4-In looking through old threads about Polishing windows (generally not advised if your Finger Nail can detect the scratches) or finding a Replacement (parts yards, or Forum members with a stash), I came across some postings about a run of Replacement Windows from Prosource. I have contacted him via PM and email and will post an Update on side window availability.

John

Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask a glazier if they can polish it out!
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

1-Adjusted the window guides and that speeded things up. With full battery charge the Driver's side goes up or down in about 4-5 seconds. I can definitely live with that.

I found that with the car running, the windows will move faster, vs just on battery power alone.

PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I found that with the car running, the windows will move faster, vs just on battery power alone.

Technically, I would imagine the window speed is better. With only the battery, you have 12V or less because of the
draw. The engine running, you will have normally 13.5 to 14V. The power would increase the speed.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heard back from Richard right away. Here is his update:

These are available although we are out of stock at the moment. I can get within a week. The green OEM are $160 + $15 box fee + UPS which ranges from $40-60 within he continental USA.

Richard

ProSource Glass international

Toll Free 877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
978-790-4657 Cell

www.prosourceglassintl.com

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can still check for a good used door. It will be far less than $200. Also just for the hell of it, check with Safelite Auto Glass. They may have them in stock or access to them. They will install it free too. The only times I paid for glass installs was if I supplied the glass.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

I've sold 90 plus pairs of dew wipes and have never heard of them slowing the window motors down. That being said, the 2 window guides on top of the inside of the door are adjustable. Move them back a bit and see if the window speeds up.
The window switch carries full current through it and any dirt or corrosion on the switch contacts will act like a resistor and reduce the amount of voltage getting to the motor. A simple test would be to do a voltage drop test across the switch. You could also check the voltage at the motor when the motor is running. As was mentioned above, if you apply battery power directly to the motor and it runs faster then the problem lies in the switch or wiring.

Can anyone post a pic of the adjustable window guides for reference??

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Can anyone post a pic of the adjustable window guides for reference??

http://www.michiganfieroclub.com/files/power.pdf

#96 in the manual regulator figure.

You can also adjust the window with other guides, if needed, but those are for the position of the window (up/down, front/back, tilt).
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info to have. Thanks for posting

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock