FierowagenE36 by FierowagenE36
Started on: 10-14-2014 12:35 PM
Replies: 6 (242 views)
Last post by: WICKEDWILDFIERO on 10-15-2014 09:05 PM
FierowagenE36

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowagenE36Send a Private Message to FierowagenE36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there everyone. I have a 1988 Fiero gt shell, a VW type 1 pan with motor and tranny, and a 1995 BMW 318ti that is all there with a bad body.
Any thoughts or ideas on combining the vw tranny, m42 motor, and BMW suspension into my Fiero shell? The fierowagen, on its way.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of those things really fit together directly.

The BMW engine is too long, and the VW trans is too weak, rear-engine, not mid, and built to handle the original air cooled VW engine.

If you want to use the BMW engine in a Fiero, I'd suggest doing it transversely, using either the Fiero trans, or another stronger GM trans in its place (like the F23 perhaps). Though, I suspect the engine might be a bit too long for that. If you're willing to lose the trunk an Audi trans might let you use the BMW engine longitudinally, in a mid engine layout, but I suspect it would be a very tight fit without a stretch, if it does fit at all.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That BMW engine is only rated at 138 hp. Don't know about the VW. Our std V6 is 135-140 depending on year, is super simple and cheap to work on, and fits wihout modification. Many are available from an engine swap. Power upgrades of 10-15+ hp can be had with simple header and exhaust mods.
The expense of sourcing a transmission that would mate up to the engine and the mods to the axles and or hubs, engine and possible transmission management electronics, possible fuel system upgrade or design change, ect would be daunting.

But that is not the question is it? For a truely unique fiero, that would be one way.
The VW engine/transmission would be the easier of the two, even though the engine would face backward and cooling is an issue as the std engine compartment is more of an oven. Think I remember that "flipping" the differential reverses the direction of drive wheels. That would allow a engine forward position in the engine bay if so desired.
The BMW engine might mount to a BMW awd transmission (ZF transmission) and used if you can bypass the rearward driveshaft and just use the tranvserse half-shafts. Maybe you could even configure how to use the whole suspension/hub assembly. That's if it will fit without stretching the engine bay and frame.
Don't know if ZF makes a transverse transmission that will mate up to the 1.8 litre 4-cyl BMW engine. Maybe just need a belhousing change if there is one that would work.

Much simpler if your GT was a manual. Some members with a lot more technical knowlegde than me please chime in.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

That BMW engine is only rated at 138 hp. Don't know about the VW. Our std V6 is 135-140 depending on year, is super simple and cheap to work on, and fits wihout modification. Many are available from an engine swap. Power upgrades of 10-15+ hp can be had with simple header and exhaust mods.
The expense of sourcing a transmission that would mate up to the engine and the mods to the axles and or hubs, engine and possible transmission management electronics, possible fuel system upgrade or design change, ect would be daunting.

But that is not the question is it? For a truely unique fiero, that would be one way.
The VW engine/transmission would be the easier of the two, even though the engine would face backward and cooling is an issue as the std engine compartment is more of an oven. Think I remember that "flipping" the differential reverses the direction of drive wheels. That would allow a engine forward position in the engine bay if so desired.

The VW engine/transmission has been done (so not entirely unique). But that VW engine was rated at something like 24 HP. That's only 3 HP more than my lawnmower has.

I'd also stick with the 2.8 from those choices, unless you really want to swap the BMW engine in. An adapter plate should let you use it with the stock Fiero trans (or any other trans you want to use).
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 241
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of Fiero "shell" are we talking about.....a rolling chassis with no motor or just a spaceframe with body panels attached sitting on the ground? The 88 already had a better suspension then the previous years so I think you would be dumbing-down the suspension by putting the BMW parts on the car.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-14-2014).]

FierowagenE36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowagenE36Send a Private Message to FierowagenE36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow guys, thanks for the quick and sound advice. I'll answer some of the inquiries first, and follow with my take on the advice.

I have just a Fiero shell, no suspension parts, no transmission, no motor, no seats, no rims or tires, not even a cup holder. I did pay $100 for the shell, and it has a clear title.
I have the complete BMW, and VW type 1 pan with motor and transmission, all suspension components, although the motor needs work.

I intend to redo the Fiero completely, but I don't intend to change much cosmetically. I am a kit car fan, a car fan of any kind, but I like the Fiero look.
As to the stock Fiero parts, I may have to source those locally, and modify them as needed. I definitely don't want to put a lawn mower engine in my car, so selling my extra car parts may be a better idea than trying to squeeze them into the Fiero.
The M42 motor is pretty peppy in my BMW, I thought it would be a great motor for my Fiero. I am now reconsidering that. I am just as happy to not incorporate any of the VW parts into my Fiero, but I was hoping that my BMW would be a good source of some components for my Fiero.
If the BMW motor wont be a better choice for the Fiero than a stock motor, I'll find a stock 2.8 and juice it up.
Thanks guys-huge help, and i'll put some more thought into it and come back with more!

WICKEDWILDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WICKEDWILDFIEROSend a Private Message to WICKEDWILDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are in for some fun. You have a blank canvas.
The parts you are missing are parts most of us have or are going to upgrade.So you
can put what you can find locally,(v-8,3800sc or na,ecotec,etc) Brake upgrade, custom
interior. Keep us posted.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock