Started on: 10-12-2014 06:04 PM
Replies: 14 (345 views)
Last post by: n7vrz on 11-13-2014 12:28 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is my 96 3100 intake on a 99 3400 block and heads. I bought it with a 3100 engine with a blown head gasket.
Bought a 3400 engine and swapped the engine but kept intake to keep all the wiring the same.

I verified the transmission by driving it up on ramps. I don't know if it shifted into 4th before the swap. Mechanics did all the work...I should probably just have them look at it but if there's something that's easy to do/check I'd rather just do it myself so any advice is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you hook up a vac line to the modulator?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:
Did you hook up a vac line to the modulator?

Pictures would help, I know nothing about automatics. I bought this as a winter beater.
It shifts to 2nd and 3rd normally, just never goes to 4th...
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shift Solenoid A controls both 1st and 4th gears (Shift Solenoid B controls 2nd and 3rd). If you aren't getting 1st gear either, then there could be a problem with shift solenoid A, another sensor, related wiring, or the PCM.

Looks like you have a 94-95 3100 Flash-type PCM, which isn't all that common. I don't think you can flash trouble codes thru the check engine light on these systems but you can try. Otherwise, you're going to need a scan tool that can interface with this computer system. Reading codes may give us a clue as to why it isn't shifting into 4th gear and if any other problems have been detected.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Fipronil

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FipronilSend a Private Message to FipronilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your shifter letter positions lineup with the transmission gear selected? On my swap, drive (with the 4th gear) is in the "N" position. If I put it in "D" I only have the 1st 3 gears. Just checking. Good luck.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I was bummed when I saw what ECM it was.
It definitely shifts into first. It mostly lines up with the shifter fine...when I put it in N it just revs and I move down a click to get to drive. It's definitely shifting into first second and third.
My rpm at 60 mph is about 3000... :/
Odometer is not working, probably have to convert the VSS coming out of the ECM to analog then back into the speedo. Perhaps the VSS is not working at all...? Would that cause the ECM to not shift it into 4th? Again, zero experience with auto Fieros much less this 4T60-E... The ECM is in the trunk....

I just got this car and the previous owner said his dad and his dad's friend did the swap and he himself didn't know much about the car. I figured a swapped 3X00 w/4 spd auto with a bad head gasket was a good deal for $1000... I'm already about $3300 in...
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Yea, I was bummed when I saw what ECM it was.
It definitely shifts into first. It mostly lines up with the shifter fine...when I put it in N it just revs and I move down a click to get to drive. It's definitely shifting into first second and third.
My rpm at 60 mph is about 3000... :/
Odometer is not working, probably have to convert the VSS coming out of the ECM to analog then back into the speedo. Perhaps the VSS is not working at all...? Would that cause the ECM to not shift it into 4th? Again, zero experience with auto Fieros much less this 4T60-E... The ECM is in the trunk....

I just got this car and the previous owner said his dad and his dad's friend did the swap and he himself didn't know much about the car. I figured a swapped 3X00 w/4 spd auto with a bad head gasket was a good deal for $1000... I'm already about $3300 in...

If the PCM is not correctly reading the VSS, then it is very possible it won't allow 4th gear or even TCC lockup operation. You will need to connect a scan tool and watch live data to determine if the PCM is seeing a valid vehicle speed signal.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from what I can tell, there is no TV cable on the throttle body...

ALSO:

at highway speeds, it seems that is I let off the throttle to about 5% throttle, it does shift into 4th, but as soon as I accelerate, it goes right back to 3rd. 5% throttle isn't enough for me to maintain speed.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need scan data to further diagnose the issue.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found the .adx file on gearhead. I'll try to get some data this weekend.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...FML

I would have data except the geniuses who did this swap removed the ALDL connector from it's stock location. Here's to hoping it's still part of the swap and actually in the trunk with the ECM...

You should see what they did with the wiper fluid reservoir... /fail
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got

A -- Ground - Black/White
B - Control - White/Black - C9
M - Data - Tan - B19
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what I really need, phonedawgz, is a 16196397->'7730 adapter harness...

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be pretty hard to run a 4T60E on a 7730.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:You should see what they did with the wiper fluid reservoir... /fail

They didn't make it a beer reservoir that dispenses when you hit the washer?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock