Horn issues by donuteater306
Started on: 10-11-2014 11:45 PM
Replies: 3 (111 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-12-2014 12:38 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here's a weird one. I installed dual note horns off of an 80's Buick a few years ago. I was tired of the "meep meep" of the factory horns.

Anyway, the low note horn just stopped working. I verified with a test light that there's power to the horn. I connected an aux. ground to eliminate a potential ground issue. Still no low note horn. I removed the low horn, plugged it in to the high note side and connected a ground. Low note still didn't work. I connected the high note horn to the low note side and it beeps. Bad low note horn right?

I buy a new low note horn. Plug it in, same problem. Take the new horn and connect it directly to my battery BEEP!!! The new horn works. What the hell is going on!?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Different horns draw different amounts of current. The louder the horn, the more power it takes to drive it. It sounds to me like you're overtaxing the power side of the circuit. If you're trying to run both horns on the stock 18 gauge power wire that jumps from one horn to the other, then I suspect that's the problem. You may need to provide each horn with it's own power wire either directly from the fuse box or from the battery (with an inline fuse).
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think about that. Not sure why, but I assumed GM used the same gauge wire and circuitry on all of their horns. You're right tho, the low note would take more current. Funny that it was working for a couple of years. I don't usually lay on it...just short bursts to let drivers of lifted Suburbans know that I exist. Could the relay not be passing enough current?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:
1. Different horns draw different amounts of current.
2. The louder the horn, the more power it takes to drive it.
3. It sounds to me like you're overtaxing the power side of the circuit. If you're trying to run both horns on the stock 18 gauge power wire that jumps from one horn to the other, then I suspect that's the problem. You may need to provide each horn with it's own power wire either directly from the fuse box or from the battery (with an inline fuse).

1. Yes. Is one reason why you replace horns in match pairs. Other is Mismatch horns often make weird sound.
See my Cave, Horn

2. Not really. OEM and others can make quality horns that make allot of sound and little amp draw.

3. Could be wire or terminal on wire is bad loose etc.
If needed, just wired as air horns shown in my cave, same page, w/ heavier wire directly to terminal under c500.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-12-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock