Transmission Swap Advice Please? by ChrisMac97
Started on: 10-10-2014 01:05 PM
Replies: 14 (401 views)
Last post by: ChrisMac97 on 06-15-2015 05:29 PM
ChrisMac97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright so I am nowhere near mechanically inclined, but with the assistance of my mechanic father I'm hoping to do a tranny swap from auto to manual. Step 1 is obviously finding a transmission that will actually work, and step 1 is where I'm stuck. I have an 85 SE (v6). Can someone suggest what transmission I should be on the look out for? I'm kinda partial to something that won't take huge modifications to what I already have if that is a possibility.. I live in Calgary Alberta if anyone local has something to offer as well. I've seen some amazing work on here and so I'm hoping at least one of you guys can help me out. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'factory' transmission for your car is the 'Muncie' 4 speed (option code M17) It's a good transmission and still available for relatively few bucks. Converting an automatic car to manual is never easy, but a least in this case you would be looking for parts that were built for the Fiero....and will fit.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-10-2014).]

ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would the MG2 be a suitable option as well? I mean if you're gonna swap might as well swap up right?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the Getrag 5 speed that was offered in 1986-88. Yes, you could use that too. I have one of those and I like it, but 5 is not necessarily better than 4. It will be more expensive, (demand), and it will get slightly better high speed mileage.......but many Fiero owners prefer the 4 speed around town....better ratios in the first 3 gears....
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay fair enough. Thanks for the help!
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, if you can make the drive out to bc, i have a 5 speed isuzu that you can have for free.
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've read the Isuzu is an l4 transmission, would it be compatible? Again I'd like to stress how mechanically illiterate I am haha
tcincp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tcincpSend a Private Message to tcincpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 spd or 2 different 5 spds. I was recently looking for a hood and found a complete car for $200.00 with a 4 spd. I think this is what you need to do is find a cheap car that needs a lot of help and buy it, then you will have everything you need for the change over.
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parts cars are few and far between. All I've found are running condition, and we all know how cheap those are..

[This message has been edited by ChrisMac97 (edited 10-10-2014).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know, all stock trans have the same bellhousing, so they should all be interchangeable. Somone correct me if im wrong. You can also have the cables, clutch and flywheel. If you want to make the trip, theres a 5 speed fiero at a pick and pull near me. I can snag the shifter, peddle assembly and other needed peices for you, if you covered the cost.
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me do some further research and I'll get back to you, but a BC trip is definitely do-able.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you that the Muncie four speed transmission coupled with the 2.8 L V6 engine turns around 3400 - 3500 rpm at 72-73 mph. The Getrag 282 transmission allows a lower rpm (around 2250 - 2300) at the same speed. I do not have any experience with an Isuzzu five speed transmission coupled to the stock V6, but did briefly have one coupled to a 3800 SC Series II engine that had rpm similar ti the five speed Getrag 282 if I remember correctly. You may want to take this into consideration when you consider transmission swaps.

There are also the F23 and F40 transmissions that can be made to work with the stock V6 engine. A number of threads about these conversions can be found on PFF.

Nelson
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automatic to Getrag 5-speed swap in my Indy (2/3rds down page)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-3.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kawana is correct that all Fiero transmissions have the same bellhousing and are interchangeable among all Fieros, irregardless the year or stock engine block. Changing an automatic to a manual is the same difficulty no matter which trans. I've had all 4 manual transmissions hooked behind a V6. The 84 4-speed is best suited for in-city driving due to the low 4:10 gearing.

The 85 and 86 4-speed will run up over 3000 at road speeds, as Nelson said, but will get there pretty quickly from stop light to light.

The isuzu 5-speed is a little short on 1st and 2nd gear but has a pretty good range up to around 65 mph in 3rd. It matches out in 4th with the 85 and 86 4-speeds.
The Isuzu and Getrag are about equal except in the first two gears. The Getrag is a little better balanced without the big jump to 3rd. Either is good for regular cruising and is about equal to the 85 and 86 4-speed. Either of the 5-speeds won't really improve your mpg except out on the interstate if you use cruise control. Best I've had on my 3.4 is 31 mpg on a 3-hour trip running with cruise control. Other times on the same trip without cruise I'm down in the mid 20's.
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock