4T60 Swap by raysr11
Started on: 10-07-2014 04:05 PM
Replies: 21 (491 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 10-24-2014 03:58 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyone for hire in the Seattle area experienced in swapping the 4 speed auto into Fiero's?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the middle of this swap right now myself. I would love to help, but I think the miles would put it out of your price range.

Jim
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I believe you'd be right. I've been trying to follow your thread. How's it going?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

Yes, I believe you'd be right. I've been trying to follow your thread. How's it going?

Engine and transmission is out. I hope to have enough time and clear weather to put the 4 speed in this Sunday. I don't have a garage so any work I do is weather dependent. Everything I've done to this point has been covered repeatedly, so no pictures. I plan on taking pictures from this point forward. I'm on vacation in 2 weeks, so unless it rains for 7 days straight then, I will be complete no later than that week.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-08-2014).]

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did you do about the governor? I know this been talked to death but I'm still looking for specifics on what trans and what governor. Did you make you own mounts? I would be thrilled to buy a set of mounts and governor from someone. I'm also wanting to get a trans with the best gear ratio.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 10-08-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

What did you do about the governor? I know this been talked to death but I'm still looking for specifics on what trans and what governor. Did you make you own mounts? I would be thrilled to buy a set of mounts and governor from someone. I'm also wanting to get a trans with the best gear ratio.

Those are questions I will be facing this weekend. I will be using Fiero mounts, I just need to drill new mount holes on the cradle. As far as the governor goes, I am as confused as you are. No one has given a clear answer on that. The only answer I get is "You will need to grab a different governor cap", but no one says from where or what car. I fear an extra trip to the bone yard is imminent. I will definitely document my results though.

Jim

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
made all the more confusing because some 4T60 came with the right cap and some not. but generally the earlier cars with 4T60's will be more likely to have the correct cap. most likely from 85-86 cars, maybe even 87. If you've read the write ups on the swap that includes the pictures the differences between the two caps is pretty clear. All the chasing around is worth it to have that trans in the car. been there and done that.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a link to a thread that shows the differences in the caps. I have looked through tons of threads here and away from the forum and have never seen a picture. That would be a great help. Thanks.

Jim
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what's your email? I'll send a pdf to you and see if it helps any.
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grantman, sent you a pm.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
replied
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As soon as I can get to a computer I'll send a PM also. I can't on this PDA version of PFF.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-09-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Grantman, I'm home now. I sent you a PM. Thanks.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the PDF Grantman. I actually have seen pictures similar, or even those same ones before. For some reason I was not grasping what the governor cap was. I was thinking that entire assembly was the VSS, only partly true. The trans I picked up is a 4T40 from an 87 Cadillac Allante. I'll need to look and compare it to my TH125C. I hope it has what I can use. Otherwise, my swap may come to a screeching halt, if I cant find a suitable replacement in the boneyard. I really need to get this car back up and running soon. It's my sons car and he uses it to commute to college. (he is currently using my car) He was getting only 19mpg, and this is why I decided to start this swap. Hopefully he'll get near 30 after we are done, if we get done. Also, my apologies to Ray, I have just been replying as if this was my thread. I didn't mean to take over. I'll make sure I share what happens this weekend if the rain holds out.

Jim
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
certainly looks to me like the trans in a 87 or 88 allante is a 4T60. I would think the governor that is already on the transmission is the correct one. The one link I sent has pictures showing both. easy to tell which one is on it.
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim, you can still use that transmission even if it has the wrong cap on it. You will just have to go to the JY again and find the right cap and swap it out on your 4t60. I used the TH125's VSS in the 4T60. When I did my swap one of the local salvage yards has a transmission core pile and I was able to find the cap there. He was pricy tho, about 45 for the cap.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

certainly looks to me like the trans in a 87 or 88 allante is a 4T60. I would think the governor that is already on the transmission is the correct one. The one link I sent has pictures showing both. easy to tell which one is on it.

Well with absolute 100% certainty I can say that it is a 4T40 because it is stamped on it. (not a sticker) Now if that was a replacement transmission at some point, I can't say. That may explain why it is not a 4T60. I used the pictures you sent and I do believe I have the right cap. The cap looks just like the one on the TH125C. So I think I'm good.

Jim

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Well with absolute 100% certainty I can say that it is a 4T40 because it is stamped on it. (not a sticker) Now if that was a replacement transmission at some point, I can't say. That may explain why it is not a 4T60. I used the pictures you sent and I do believe I have the right cap. The cap looks just like the one on the TH125C. So I think I'm good.

Jim

440t4 and 4t60 are exactly the same. It was simply renamed at one point as the new GM naming scheme was put into place, but aside from name, they are the same transmission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...bo-Hydramatic_440-T4
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
440t4 and 4t60 are exactly the same. It was simply renamed at one point as the new GM naming scheme was put into place, but aside from name, they are the same transmission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...bo-Hydramatic_440-T4

I realize that, but Grantman was stating that because it was an Allante it should have been stamped 4T60. I'm just stating that is not necessarily true, considering my experience.
No worries.

Jim

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim

The correct cap will look the same but will be taller than the 125 cap.

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a trans that I was going to use for a core that had a speedo cable from the governor about a foot long. Had kick down too. What the heck was this trans out of?
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well with absolute 100% certainty

Jim

Well I can now say with 100% certainty that nothing is 100% certain. The tran I originally got out of the Allante had 440T stamped on it and had the kick down cable, but unfortunately it was a electronically controlled F-7 tran that looks exactly like a 4T60 and 440T4. I have now swapped it out for the correct 4T60 version.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock