Humming from front wheels -- Bearings by RotrexFiero
Started on: 10-07-2014 02:50 PM
Replies: 11 (256 views)
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 10-12-2014 12:48 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At around 40mph I can hear and slightly feel a humming that is coming from the front of my Fiero. I am pretty sure it is not the tires, I hear it regardless of the road I am on. And, I can feel it in the floor.

Bearings?

------------------
87 Fiero GT 5 speed, 3800 II Supercharged

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you hear it steering a little left and right? usually you can make a bearing noise go away at some steering angle.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe... pretty easy to check for play and noise (jack up the wheel)... or just change out the bearings.

What is the history of the car?

Did you swap tires from front to back, to see if the noise changes?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-07-2014).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No pulling but some wear on the outside of the driver's side front tire.
I had an inspection at in April and there were no problems. They check
for wheel play.
Last year I did have some play in one side and I tightened the nut a little.
But I was told there was some play in it and to do so.
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did this on my '84. The bearings would hum at certain angles intermittently, I had no play in my wheel, but changed the bearings anyways. Problem solved, cheap and easy fix.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

No pulling but some wear on the outside of the driver's side front tire.
I had an inspection at in April and there were no problems. They check
for wheel play.
Last year I did have some play in one side and I tightened the nut a little.
But I was told there was some play in it and to do so.

If the bearings were too loose or too tight, they could have worn. They are cheap to replace. Be sure to follow the service manual when tightening the castle nut.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If a tire is wearing you probably need an alignment.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I kinda know I have alignment issue.

Can a bad wheel bearing cause tire wear?

I only drive about thousand miles a year. Not sure why this suddenly started, except to say last year I tighten the bearing after my mechanic said I had some play. I'll do a bearing replacement this weekend and see what happens.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be too tight then since you just tightened it, my guess.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the bearings in both sides. No humming, in fact sounds and drives great. So I know it was the bearing. On the side I suspected I removed the wheel and I could feel a clocking when I rotated the hub. When I removed the bearing there was no visible damage. But, it is fixed. Simple to do, cost about $40. I got some good Mobil One grease.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be... might not be front. Sound/feeling isn't best way to tell. Either can lie.

See my Cave, Front Bearings

If you sure it not any tire...
Rear hub(s), axle bearing in trans, or damage axles can make noise/vibration.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Orge.

Pretty sure that was it. The noise and humming was pretty predictable and constant. I did read your Cave post on the front bearing.

More interested in what caused it, but the roads up here are very punishing on a car. I have to raise my front suspension a little, and still the potholes are punishing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock