I had moved my Fiero a few times in and out of the garage this past weekend, and then I went to start it again and got nothing.
Here's what happened. I put the key in, turned to run. All my interior lights were coming on like they should. I went to start it, and it sounded like the motor turned over once, and a cylinder fired. But it didn't keep running, and then all my interior lights were out. I thought I heard a slight pop when it all went out. The lights seemed to come back on after a few minutes, but they were extremely dim. I was thinking the battery might have suddenly discharged, so I charged it overnight. Checked it with a meter, and I've got like 12.5 volts at the battery.
I've started checking the fuses under the driver's side dash. None were broken, but when I pulled the 2 silver... whatever they are... it seemed like the interior lights would go off, but then come back on again dim even while it was out.
If your car has been sitting for 2 months or more, most likely your battery is shot regardless if you charge it.Some things may work, such as the radio or lights.But under load, the motor wont start.A battery will last about 5 to 6 years. Do you know how old the battery is?Be aware the clock in the radio and other electronics will drain and kill the battery.
Another update. Yes I changed the battery. Has been great however last time i went to drive it it died again in the driveway.
grounding strap still in place however I noticed my positive cable had about an inch of exposed wire near the end that connects to the battery. When I applied some pressure sideways the lights came on and I was able to start. So on I'm thinking either some of the strands in the cake are brownfielbroken or the connector is coming loose from the cable. What's the best way to fix this? I though of heating the cable and adding some solder to help bond it, then figured I should ask first