Electric help needed by pHoOl
Started on: 10-06-2014 11:25 PM
Replies: 10 (247 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-07-2015 10:14 AM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had moved my Fiero a few times in and out of the garage this past weekend, and then I went to start it again and got nothing.

Here's what happened. I put the key in, turned to run. All my interior lights were coming on like they should. I went to start it, and it sounded like the motor turned over once, and a cylinder fired. But it didn't keep running, and then all my interior lights were out. I thought I heard a slight pop when it all went out. The lights seemed to come back on after a few minutes, but they were extremely dim. I was thinking the battery might have suddenly discharged, so I charged it overnight. Checked it with a meter, and I've got like 12.5 volts at the battery.

I've started checking the fuses under the driver's side dash. None were broken, but when I pulled the 2 silver... whatever they are... it seemed like the interior lights would go off, but then come back on again dim even while it was out.

Any ideas where to start looking?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fresh full charge battery should be over 12.6 to 13+.
Charger and/or battery problems is really 12.5v after overnight.

See my Cave, Wire Service and Fuse Links notes

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your grounds, most likely your problem.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your car has been sitting for 2 months or more, most likely your battery is shot regardless if you charge it.Some things may work, such as the radio or lights.But under load, the motor wont start.A battery will last about 5 to 6 years. Do you know how old the battery is?Be aware the clock in the radio and other electronics will drain and kill the battery.

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12.5v is good but now ut the meter on the battery when someone cranks it. If it goes below 10.5v (i think) looks like you need a new battery.

does you battery have water caps or is it sealed? check the water lever if you can. charge it more.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2 silver things are circuit breakers. They work like fuses but reset.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spring update...

Grounding strap seemed to fix it!

------------------
97 Suzuki GSXF 600
04 Saturn Ion Redline
86 Fiero GT

AIM: phool88fiero

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change the battery as well? Make sure you have it tested if you didn't....a bad battery will kill your alternator (and vice versa), then you'll be chasing more issues...
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update. Yes I changed the battery. Has been great however last time i went to drive it it died again in the driveway.

grounding strap still in place however I noticed my positive cable had about an inch of exposed wire near the end that connects to the battery. When I applied some pressure sideways the lights came on and I was able to start. So on I'm thinking either some of the strands in the cake are brownfielbroken or the connector is coming loose from the cable.
What's the best way to fix this? I though of heating the cable and adding some solder to help bond it, then figured I should ask first
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace it with a new battery cable.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-07-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:
Replace it with a new battery cable.

Yup... And 1 is obviously bad then replace both. Bad cables can still look ok to you, ohm meter, etc.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock