GT - No Spoiler by Notorio
Started on: 10-06-2014 08:07 PM
Replies: 8 (600 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 10-10-2014 12:16 AM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you remove the spoiler the deck lid is too light for the torsion bar/tensioner/spring (whatever it is ...) The result is when releasing the lid from inside the car, the deck lid flies fully open instead of gently popping up to a 'rest' position just above the lock. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted? Or did OEM 'wingless' cars have a different bar, etc.? Please don't tell me to glue lead weights to the underside of the lid ...

John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jschmidt95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread should be pretty helpful:

Rear Deck Lid Springs

They go into detail about how to tell what your car has and how to adjust them

-John ...(Jacob Jingle Hiemer Schmidt, that's My name too!)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be VERY CAREFULL. You can break wrist, fingers or rear glass pretty easily.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could just attach a metal bar of about the same weight to the underside of the deck lid, that would be much easier and safer.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better yet, remove the tension spring and install a gas shock setup instead, and bring the car into the modern age.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great suggestions --- thanks, All. I'll try the adjustment procedure first, taking extreme care not to damage myself or the car, or innocent bystanders.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to adjust - with pictures
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-043677.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Methinks I'll keep things as they are for now. I had the deck lid off today (spark plugs) and got a good look at the tensioner and the 'three holes.' Since I would need to relax the tension (i.e. move firewall-ward one hole) the racketing strap idea won't work. Don't see a Safe & Easy way to back off one hole ...
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its super simple to do, get a pipe wrench, use that to move the U part, make sure it has a good grip, with that you can move it real easy while you pull out the pin and put in it the next hole, try not to drop the pin, then it sucks.

That is what I use to change springs, moving the pin is just too easy this way.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock