Started on: 10-06-2014 07:26 PM
Replies: 4 (359 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-07-2014 10:24 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else running ZZ Powerlogs? I have the stainless steel type but it sat so close to the A/C Compressor that I took them off. This manifold is non-restrictive, flows well but when installed it sits only 1/8" away from the A/C compressor. This has got to have a negative effect and decreased life on the A/C system . I believe that I will need to modify the P-Log for greater A/C Compressor clearance but still looking for expert and other opinions on this.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know when I installed my mustang header, it would hit on the starter. I had to modify it quite a bit in order to get it to where i could use it. Still it ended up that i have about a 1/4" of gap. I wrapped it in header wrap, but I have not driven it yet so I am not sure of how it will hold up. I am hoping the wrap makes the difference. Just a thought, not sure if ya are for/against that idea, but figured i would throw my 2 cents in.
troy
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

I know when I installed my mustang header, it would hit on the starter. I had to modify it quite a bit in order to get it to where i could use it. Still it ended up that i have about a 1/4" of gap. I wrapped it in header wrap, but I have not driven it yet so I am not sure of how it will hold up. I am hoping the wrap makes the difference. Just a thought, not sure if ya are for/against that idea, but figured i would throw my 2 cents in.
troy

I am not fond of wrapping headers as they have a tendency to crack. I would wrap the starter in a heat shield. In the case of the Powerlog there isn't even enough clearance to wrap the compressor as the heat shield wrap would sit almost right on the exhaust. I can probably free up some clearance by compressing the pipe with a couple of large C clamps and a piece of steel.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1/8" is plenty of room to tack weld a thin piece of sheet metal for a heat shield between the header pipe and the A/C compressor. As long as there is a small air gap, the heat shield will stop the largest % of the radiant heat from from the exhaust pipe going to the A/C compressor. You could also slot the mounting holes for the A/C compressor to lower it another 1/16" to 1/8".
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

1/8" is plenty of room to tack weld a thin piece of sheet metal for a heat shield between the header pipe and the A/C compressor. As long as there is a small air gap, the heat shield will stop the largest % of the radiant heat from from the exhaust pipe going to the A/C compressor. You could also slot the mounting holes for the A/C compressor to lower it another 1/16" to 1/8".

I guess that we could take that approach but I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable if we could get that air gap to a minimum of 1/4" without disturbing compressor mounting. We are talking about altering only 1/8" of material of the powerlog only a few inches in length. I believe that I can do this neatly with a auto body tool ( anvil dolly) tapping along the highest point of a section of the manifold tube radius where it sits under cylinder #1 and over the A/C compressor. I believe that its possible to make this look neat and do the alteration without decreasing flow. If only ZZ made these powerlogs with 1/4" of clearance over the A/C compressor we would not be having this discussion.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock