How to tow without engine? by Idaho Wolverine
Started on: 10-06-2014 05:12 PM
Replies: 6 (204 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-06-2014 11:23 PM
Idaho Wolverine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to tow a 87GT without the engine cradle/ rear wheels installed. I have an opportunity to pick-up an 87GT in pretty good shape; FOR FREE! The owner removed the cradle/engine a while ago because he had started a V8 swap. It is in his mothers back yard, and she wants it gone..

Thinking about a car dolly under the rear end, and tow it home backwards.

Anyone done this??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done that, but there are people on the forum that have. I think they tie off the steering wheel. However, my suggestion would be a full car trailer, and have the entire car on that. Unless of course, you already have free access to a tow dolly, and need to make that work.

Jim
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros towed backwards has been done many times before. Ed Parks the founder of the Fiero Factory did all of his tows that way, some from as far as 1000 miles away. IMO it will work but is not the best idea. If you have a severely out of alignment front end the car will not tow straight and you are relying on the steering wheel lock to keep the front tires locked in place and from "steering". For a short distance I'd say go for it but have a rider keep a watchful eye on the towed vehicle to see that its towing straight. The challenge as I see it is keeping the rear on the tow dolly without the rear wheels that normally sit there. You can reinstall the cradle hubs, struts, tie rods and wheels but you will need two outer axle cups and axle nuts to keep the bearing hubs from separating.
Best idea is to price and hire a flatbed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without rear wheels, you have nothing to put the straps around. It would be sitting on the dolly supported by it's rear fascia and that would probably destroy it. Flatbed or trailer bed, support it under the framework with a bunch of tires then ratchet it straight down so it doesn't move off them.
Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have access to a flat bed/car hauler, but without the rear wheels, I dont see how I would roll it onto it.

I was just thinking someone here may have Caucasian rigged a way to sit the rear of a Fiero on a car dolly, with something under it of course. Im sure I can find some attach points for tie-downs without the wheels, but again, thought I would ask.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need a flat bed!

If you tow it from the rear, wont you destroy the front & rear fascia?

HF sells dollies. You could put a few 4x4's on the dollies and drag it up the flat bed.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:
Need a flat bed!

If you tow it from the rear, wont you destroy the front & rear fascia?

Not unless it's lowered or springs/shocks are extremely bad. Towing from the rear, or on a flatbed, is the only way to tow a Fiero.

If you want to flatbed a car with no rear cradle/suspension/wheels installed, best thing to do would be to build a rig out of a few 2x4s and a couple of cheap 10" or so tires. You can get a couple at Harbor Freight for like $6 each. Bolt the rig to the chassis and roll it up on a flatbed. Good way to roll the car around until you get a cradle and suspension in it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock