Which would be easier? by whitestar
Started on: 10-05-2014 05:47 PM
Replies: 6 (349 views)
Last post by: whitestar on 10-09-2014 07:48 PM
whitestar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whitestarSend a Private Message to whitestarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have got the firebird radio and wiring working together with the firebird steering wheel. However, I still have the stock 87GT steering wheel and column in my car. So which would be the easiest way to do this? One, tear apart the both columns and savage and build one with parts from both, or two take out the stock Fiero column and replace it with the firebird one. Can this be done, I don't know. Maybe some body on here does?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think the Firebird steering wheel on your present column would be pretty easy. You might have to get a Firebird hub or modify the Fiero one, but I think they're pretty similar. Many, many cars use essentially the same column. Somebody did what you're doing using a Gran Prix wheel. Try searching the forum.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year of FB?
GM change them allot in more resent models. Likely is a big job to not happening to mix column parts or switching a whole column.

Any w/ air bags is a problem. Try finding dummy to replace the air bag. Live air bags are very dangerous. W/o wired to controller can still go off from static electric etc.

Lower half of column is design the fit Fiero.
Upper half takes many Saginaw column parts but up to __ year. GM made changes over time in 90's.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

whitestar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whitestarSend a Private Message to whitestarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about that.I won't be using the airbag. I think the firebird steering wheel came off a 98. The firebird column is listed 99-02 I just bought it off of ebay. I was wondering which would be easier to swap? Taking the upper shalf, slip ring,column bowl, steering wheel from the firebird and put in and on the fiero column or just swap the firebird column completely for the fiero if it would fit and work right?

[This message has been edited by whitestar (edited 10-06-2014).]

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have this set up on my Fiero. I just changed the upper steering shaft. The rest of the parts from the Fiero worked well with the clock spring, ect.
whitestar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whitestarSend a Private Message to whitestarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

I have this set up on my Fiero. I just changed the upper steering shaft. The rest of the parts from the Fiero worked well with the clock spring, ect.

Have pictures and or other info?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock