Started on: 10-05-2014 12:42 PM
Replies: 4 (232 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 10-05-2014 03:54 PM
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the title says I need info on properly removing the K member on my 87 GT .... when doing a Search on "K Member" crossmember I only get the threads about PFF members

Thank you for any links or tips on this safe removal

regards
Danyel
------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero doesn't have a K member. If you search for "crossmember" instead, you will get the results you're looking for.

http://www.fierosearch.com/...mber&Action=DoSearch
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Just had mine out ,( replaced because I installed Power Steering.) actually very easy . leave the "L" shaped brackets oneach side of the car, just remove the 6 larger bolts that go UP through the cross member into the main body. disconnect the 1 bolt for the steering Rack, and drop it out with the suspension still on it.
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan on taking the crossmember out and reusing the control arms, pull out the springs while its in the car. I learned from another member who had to learn the hard way, he had to bolt it back up to remove the springs. Its got a bit of weight to it. I removed everything i could in the car then dropped it out. Raised the bumpstops on the new one and epoxy painted all the parts. New bushings, ball joints, brake hoses, and bolts. Better than new and looks fantastic. Good luck.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the complete list of things to do:

Disconnect the calipers from the knuckle (if you don't want to break into the hydraulic system) and hang the calipers aside;

Remove the two angled braces made of square tubular steel that connect the front lower edge of the cross member to the lower frame rail;

Remove the steering shaft pinch bolt from the steering rack and disconnect the shaft from the pinion;

Remove four vertical bolts (two per side) that hold the front cross member to the underside of the frame rails. You have to get under the car to see them and remove them. They unscrew downwards.

Support the cross member with jack stands at either end;

Remove four vertical bolts (two per side) that hold the top of the top of the front cross member to L shaped brackets wedged in between the two arms of the upper control arms. You have to unscrew these two bolts upwards from the top of the cross member. If you don't have any luck getting the vertical bolts out, you can try taking out the three horizontal bolts that hold the L shaped bracket to the side of the frame rail;

Before lowering the cross member to the ground, double check to make sure there are no brake lines or electrical harnesses clamped to the cross member; and

Lower the cross member complete with the steering rack and front suspension to the ground.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock