88 trailing link? by Bridgetown
Started on: 10-04-2014 02:19 PM
Replies: 11 (271 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 10-12-2014 12:28 PM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what the angle on the trailing link joints are in relation to the link? I'm looking into some nylon joints for building my own trailing links. They are available in 7* and 11*. Will either of those be the right angle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah ha! Answered my own question.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000116-9.html
So according to that its 12.5*.
Now the question, will an 11* angle work here?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blooze has widened the track width on his build so the numbers he has are probably not stock and wouldn't work for your application. Do you have a stock 88 trailing arm? You could just draw it out full scale and measure the angles with a protractor.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to him those were stock dimensions.

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Thanks for your kind words there Katatak, and for the advice Fierobsessed, 'Guru, and 355. I am now seriously thinking about redesigning those strut adapters to take advantage of idea to regain some strut travel. That's something I would probably not have thought of on my own.

Well it’s been two weeks since I last posted an update here, but that’s not because I’ve been slacking off. I’ve been busy entering more digital drawings into my computer, saving lots of money not having to heat my shop much this winter.

If you’ve been following along, I realized early on that to design a new cradle for the N*/F40 combination would be silly if I didn’t take advantage of the opportunity to study if improvements were possible as well. The problem with improvements is that you need to have a baseline from which to compare whether your modifications are indeed better or not. It sounds easy, but in reality, none of the Fiero engineering or technical data was released as far as I’m aware, so baseline geometry information remains a mystery to most of us. I hope to fill a little of that black hole by reverse engineering the drawings for the stock configuration as a starting point.

To start the ball rolling, I’ve decided to draw out all of the stock suspension components starting with the ’88 rear.

And here's the trailing link:

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I missed that.....I stand corrected.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was wanting to use these joints to build new trailing links.
http://www.speedwaymotors.c...RH-Thread,25122.html

They are only available in an 11* shank offset. I think they may bind a little being that the stock trailing link angle is 12.5*
Also looks like they are a 1/2" bore, the stock Fiero bolt is 14mm. So I don't think these will work.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 10-07-2014).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I think these might be a better joint. Can adapt to any angle, 5/8" bore.
http://www.kugelkomponents....h=50&products_id=179
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you looking to change the tailing links?

They are the key component that transmits impact loads (potholes and other road bumps) to the chassis. As such, having anything but rubber in these links increases the road harshness w/o any benefit in handling or braking... so why do it?

These links take the punishment of the road irregularities and see some pretty substantial impact loads. The less flexible the bushing it, the higher these impact loads will be. Since I am not aware of anyone breaking a stock trailing link (aware of 1 bolt that broke after a decade + of running poly) they are a pretty good design. If you want to replace the ends with something else, compare the wall thickness and weld bead size at the connection to the center tube between the two styles. If they are not the same or the new part isn't larger, then the new part is likely weaker than OEM (unless it is made of a much higher grade of material).

The pivot links you showed, have what looks like a 3/8 bolt at the pivot section. Once this pivot moves (and the suspension travel will make it move eventually) all the loads will be through that small bolt and it will eventually fail. You can only hope that the mounting tabs elongate and start making noise so you replace them before the bolt snaps and you are left with very little holding the wheel in place (front to back).

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My goal was to see if I could build a trailing link that was lighter then the factory unit, using aluminum swaged tubing.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure that the stock links are solid, not tubing. Solid aluminum might work -- tubing might break.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I'm pretty sure that the stock links are solid, not tubing. Solid aluminum might work -- tubing might break.

The stock trailing links are tubular with around 1/8" wall thickness in the main tube. I have a few cut open on the shelf that I can get more precise measurements from when I get back to town.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of one cut apart. OD= 0.815" and 0.120" wall thickness.

A complete trailing link with rubber bushings (no bolts) weighs 3 lbs 0.8 oz.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock