frame by clutter
Started on: 10-04-2014 11:33 AM
Replies: 11 (286 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 10-05-2014 08:13 PM
clutter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for clutterSend a Private Message to clutterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to repar rear lower frame rail only spot besides cradle that is rusted and im in the process of buying new cradle should i just look for a new chassis
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by clutter:

I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to repar rear lower frame rail only spot besides cradle that is rusted and im in the process of buying new cradle should i just look for a new chassis

take some pics
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup.

Also Pull inner fender and trunk carpet and check top and bottom of frame areas there too. Cause likely whole frame is rusting out and hidden by body panels and inner fender plastic.

Why? Most people, including many Body shops, repair frames have no clue how or safe way to do it because Front and back of frame are crush zones in a wreck. Sad reality is Many cars in "rust belt" states should be junked for rusting frames, not fix by anyone.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

clutter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clutterSend a Private Message to clutterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will pull apart but how do i post pictures?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
l

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-04-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phone? upload to public space then click "PFF Code is ON" on edit page for help. Phone Pic likely is big so use [img thumb] not [img].
Windows PC? use PIP at bottom then past link after upload.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

put your photos on photobucket. then copy link. then click image button on your post. paste link to "Enter a web page location"]. click insert

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-04-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES. I was body man for over 30 years. "Almost " anything can be fixed if you have the skill and materials.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These cars rust out but they also seem to survive in what would seem to be critical condition. Look at some of the build threads and the ones where they replaced the frame rails. They were driving with the frame mostly disintegrated. I was about to give up because a portion of my frame rail is missing and so is one end of the trunk. But another guy was driving with the trunk blower just dangling in the middle of nothing. Mine is solidly attached.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 10-04-2014).]

clutter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for clutterSend a Private Message to clutterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys i think im going to find a frame rail in the junk yard and take a big enough piece from a good one and have a family member weld it
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was gone in that area and I fixed mine with 1/8 plate. It doesn't look "factory", but it did the job well.
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are also plans for fabricating rails in a thread. At least a couple people have done it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock