New brake pads, dont fit? by Idaho Wolverine
Started on: 10-03-2014 07:24 PM
Replies: 16 (277 views)
Last post by: Idaho Wolverine on 10-04-2014 10:15 PM
Idaho Wolverine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, I am changing my front brake pads on the Formula. The new pads dont fit. The inside pad has plenty of room, but the outside pad will not fit. About 1/4 inch too much pad at least. They are AutoZone pads, and when stacked next to the old, worn out pads and the new ones are not that much thicker, just look like a new pad should.... what could I be doing wrong?? This is my 4th Fiero, but my first 88.

What am I missing??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
install the old pad against the piston and put a c clamp to compress the piston more to make room.

dont damage the bleeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaXkqSJq0E

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-03-2014).]

Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The inside pad has plenty of room....I.E, the piston is flush with the housing and not an issue.
The outside pad does not have enough room....
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
then return the pads. they dont fit!!

Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front and rear are the same part number....

Anyone else??
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post a few pictures of the issue.

Is it just one side or both sides?

Are the sliders free so you can move the caliper to balance any free space between the two sides?

Sometimes the nubs on the backside of the pads do not seat properly in the bridge or front piston. If that is the case, just grind all the nubs flush (they are only needed on the rear pad on the piston side of the caliper).

Also, the Pontiac 6000 caliper used a similar, but narrower bridge than the 88 Fiero. The bridge will bolt onto the 88 caliper, but not be wide enough for the 88 Fiero pads. Could be a rebuilder swapped bridges and the previous owner made it work by grinding down the new pads before install.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-03-2014).]

Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If by sliders you mean the pins at the top of the pads, yes they move good. The problem I have, is that yes the piston is flush, the pads are seated very good, but with the caliper mounted, the outside pad just will not fit.
I also removed the caliper and installed the pads, then tried to mount the caliper; not happening. With pads installed, the outside pad will not let the caliper far enough inboard to bolt up.
As for them being a different caliper? Very possible, as I don't know the previous owners at all, and the last one did not seem very sharp.
As I said, this is my first 88, so I thought I may be doing something wrong.
I believe I will pick up a new (reman) caliper at work (AutoZone) on Monday.

Thanks guys.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was searching through this forum and found a guy bought rebuilt calipers and 1 side was different from the other side and he couldnt get the pads in as well. so it might be the wrong caliper. just compare it to the other side. he showed it was easy to see the difference.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely piston slider or both.

If crap has built up in the bore then pistons can't return and can have this problem.

edit to fit can/can't and add>
Front and back are easy to see after compressing piston. If piston dust boot is not flat after compressing then piston is blocked. Not sure? just look at a new seal/boot for rebuild kit.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-04-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Likely piston slider or both.

If crap has built up in the bore then pistons can return and can have this problem.

I think you ment to write can't return. yea my keyboard acts up too lol
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

Yeah, be careful with the comments to Dave. His keyboard didn't act up.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Idaho Wolverine:

If by sliders you mean the pins at the top of the pads, yes they move good. The problem I have, is that yes the piston is flush, the pads are seated very good, but with the caliper mounted, the outside pad just will not fit.
I also removed the caliper and installed the pads, then tried to mount the caliper; not happening. With pads installed, the outside pad will not let the caliper far enough inboard to bolt up.
As for them being a different caliper? Very possible, as I don't know the previous owners at all, and the last one did not seem very sharp.
As I said, this is my first 88, so I thought I may be doing something wrong.
I believe I will pick up a new (reman) caliper at work (AutoZone) on Monday.

Thanks guys.

The sliders are the 2 shafts where the mounting bolts attach the caliper to the upright. There should be rubber boots on both sides and a bolt through the center of each.

If you could post a closeup picture of the caliper, the retracted piston, and how the pads are mounted, many of us could tell you what the issue is.
You could also email the pictures to me at fieroguru@lycos.com and I can get back to you later this evening.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your old pads are not worn to the same thickness your slider pins are frozen (very common in 88') .With the caliper mounted without the pads installed you should be able to move the entire caliper in and out.
Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK! I did not know the mounting points were the "sliders" and, no they dont move.

There is my problem. New caliper on monday....

Thanks guys.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can take the calipers off, put them in a vice and knock the sliders loose and completely remove them (push them through the boot). Then clean up the oxidation, lube them with grease and slide them back in place with the boots installed (helps to put an A/C o-ring to cover the groove so it will pass through the boot easier). I can do it in under 30 minutes per caliper.

I doubt anyone local to you will have 88 calipers in stock, so you will be looking at a couple of days to get a rebuilt one.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

Yes but for only one.
Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I work at AutoZone here in Caro, Michigan. I can have the caliper in a day, and my Formula is not my daily driver, so the day wait wont hurt.

Lifetime warranty for $29 per caliper isnt too bad. Thanks again guys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock